Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut/Fill Feature Line Dref?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
yee-fan
378 Views, 2 Replies

Cut/Fill Feature Line Dref?

C3D 2013

I am trying to figure out a way to get the cut and fill lines on my sheet files to dynamically update when I update my corridor.

My work flow:

Currently I have a model drawing with my corridor, which produces cut and fill feature lines.

I create a separate reference file with drefs, and then paste in cut and fill polylines (where I created from the feature lines).

Finally, I have sheet files where I xref in the reference file.

Is there a better way to deal with these cut and fill lines so they are dynamic when I change my corridor?  I don't really want to xref in my model drawing just because it has all sorts of things in there..

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jay_B
in reply to: yee-fan

It sounds like a similar workflow to ours. We don't attach the corridor file to the plan production sheets and maintain a static, non-dynamic simple cad linework file for the geometrics.
The Daylight polylines derived from the corridor files become a part of our Construction Limits which are copied/pasted into this file.
The benefit is a much smaller file (reducing plotting time) and we almost always have utility trenches etc. that we show limits for.
In the end ours are in one base file which represents more the entire disturbed area than just the slope daylights.
C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 3
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: yee-fan

This is exactly what I do. Although it takes a bit of time to extract the lineart and transfer to the 2d model. Benefit is that it remains static and editable by any autocad user without the need for plugins.

Does xref ding the model, clipping and turning all but the feature lines (assuming it's layered you can do this easily) really slow plotting down?

I have considered doing this instead. We could do with a dref for corridors. Adsk: "PLEASE CAN WE HAVE A DREF FACILITY FOR CORRIDORS"
Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report