Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Tool Palettes Loading Slowly

64 REPLIES 64
Message 1 of 65
idmadcadder
5174 Views, 64 Replies

Custom Tool Palettes Loading Slowly

This has been an issue for a few versions now. I've made some custom tool palettes that are on the network. I just have them pathed in the options, and set up as a group for users to access. Civil 3D is real sluggish when it comes to using these, and switching between the tabs, and trying to load them up. But Vanilla AutoCAD loads them and switches between tabs no problem. Any ideas why the difference? Is there a variable specific to C3D that needs to change to make it work more like it does in Vanilla AutoCAD?
Civil 3D 2016 SP1
Windows 10 x64
Core i7 3.40 GHz 8gb RAM
64 REPLIES 64
Message 2 of 65
SethHall
in reply to: idmadcadder

Hi Brent-

Unfortunately I have not come across a similar issue. I understand that AutoCAD works fine over the network, but just out of curiosity if you move your custom tool palettes locally, do you get a better result?

Seth Hall
Product Owner
Model Builder
Message 3 of 65
sfuller
in reply to: SethHall

We have the same issue here as well.  Works lightning fast in vanilla cad, but in civil 3d our palettes with blocks on them are slow to load the firrst time we switch to a tab that has blocks.  Once we have switched to that tab, the next time it loads right up without delay (in the same session).  If we get out of civil 3d and back in, we start all over again. We too are using our palettes over a network.

Message 4 of 65
idmadcadder
in reply to: sfuller

Exactly the scenario we are experiencing.  Can't pinpoint it, but it must be something specific to C3D.

Civil 3D 2016 SP1
Windows 10 x64
Core i7 3.40 GHz 8gb RAM
Message 5 of 65
mariepl

Any idea what might be causing this?  I'm having the same issue on Civil3D 2011 64 bits

Message 6 of 65
jfalkowski

To the Top...

Same issues here.  An ongoing Autodesk help ticket has been unable to resolve this issue for us.

We have tried saving locally, saving the master legend file locally, saving the master legend up to 2010 format, etc.  Any palette that contains only commands loads rather quickly; however any palette which contains blocks or symbols has a severe lag. 

I believe it is due to the software "helping us out" and regenerating or caching all of the symbols each type a tab is selected.  Kind of like how the new Xref and Image manager must load and preview each time an item is selected.  If you load CLASSICXREF or CLASSICIMAGE, the lag is gone in the respective manager.  Maybe we need CLASSICTOOLPALETTE, along with a CLASSIC "everything else autocad has decided to change" command.

I am running a Dell Precision T5500, 2GHz Xeon Processor, 10K HDD, 12 GB Ram, Quadro FX1800, W7 Ultimate 64bit, 2011 Civil3D

IDSP '15 SP3 / '16 SP2
Dell Mobile Precision 7720 - Core i7-7820HQ / Win 10 / 32GB Ram / SSD / Quadro M1200

Message 7 of 65
jfalkowski
in reply to: jfalkowski

Bueller?...Bueller?

IDSP '15 SP3 / '16 SP2
Dell Mobile Precision 7720 - Core i7-7820HQ / Win 10 / 32GB Ram / SSD / Quadro M1200

Message 8 of 65
idmadcadder

Nothing resolved yet.  Still have the same issues.  I don't have 2012 installed yet so I can't say if they fixed this issue or not.  Maybe someone out there.....somewhere.....has some insight into this ongoing issue?

Civil 3D 2016 SP1
Windows 10 x64
Core i7 3.40 GHz 8gb RAM
Message 9 of 65
sfuller

It is still happening in 2012 as well.

I got exicted after first installing it, the tool palettes worked great.  But a couple of days later they went back to being slow to load.  The only thing that I can thing of that may have affected it, was a couple of days later, 2012 was installed on another computer and setup to access our networked tool palettes. Ever since they have been slow to load again.  =(

Message 10 of 65
dchapek

We ran into this problem with very decent machines and local custom palettes.  To ensure it was not a graphics issue, we went into 3DCONFIG.  We toggled hardware accel. off, ok'ed out of 3DCONFIG, went back in and turned Hardware Accel back on.  This instantly made a differnce and the palettes are completely responsive at this point.

Message 11 of 65
mikeevans6697
in reply to: dchapek

Bump to top. Any solutions to this annoying problem? Tried the 3DCONFIG option, but no changes.

Message 12 of 65

did some experimenting on this today. Copying to a local drive did not solve the probelm. Curiously though, when I changed the path for the tool palette, either to the local drive, or the network drive, the tool palette would switch between tabs seemlessly. However, when I closed AutoCAD and started a new session, it was back to the lag between tabs.

It would seem to me that AutoCAD is reading the source file and checking for each block before displaying the tab. When the path is changed, it must do that check for each tab/block for the entire palette.

Possible solution would be to force AutoCAD to read the tool palette path on startup. No idea how to do this though.

Mike

Message 13 of 65
mikeevans6697

Response from AutoCAD Customer support:

Thank you for your update. Researching this case further I was able to find that a case has already been logged with development concerning the speed issue with tool palettes. Apparently the DWG file has to be opened before the images are displayed as an icon. Depending on the location of the DWG (network or local) and the size of the DWG, there may be a lag involved. Keeping the source files local will help speed things up. The slowness only occurs the first time the tool palette tab is opened. After the first time the tool palette tab is accessed, subsequent accesses should be instantaneous. Unfortunately there is no known workaround for the issue. I have linked this issue with the development report.

Per process I will be closing this case out, but please know this is on the front side of support.  Behind the scenes this will remain active and further investigated by our development team here for future consideration in updates and product releases.

Message 14 of 65

I have found through my own testing that once I start AutoCAD, if I load any other profile then switch back to my custom profile, the tool palette works perfectly.

Message 15 of 65
sbarber
in reply to: mikeevans6697

We've ahd the same problem and this is the only solution that works. Load a different palette then switch back.

Scott Barber

Cad Technician

Nielsen Madsen & Barber S.C.

Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors

Message 16 of 65
alderliesteng

I've just run into the same issue with custom palettes on a network drive.  This thread is the only reference I could find to the issue.  Did anyone every find a solution?

Message 17 of 65
sbarber

No, I never received an answer. The only thing that seemed to work was to turn off anti-virus software when you are using AutoCAD.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 18 of 65
jfalkowski
in reply to: sbarber

To the Top.

For the past few years we have found that loading older, pre-Civil3D created Profile.aws files would speed up the palettes.  Any new profile saved to current would render the palettes useless.  Like others have said, it's almost like the software wants to cache each drawing in order to generate the thumbnail icon on each block in the palette group.

This is HUGE and pretty disappointing that AutoDesk has not resolved this issue for many users.  We are heavily reliant on tool palettes.  We have everything (lines, hatches, blocks, notes, etc. ) set up to come off the palette on company standards.

Jon

IDSP '15 SP3 / '16 SP2

Message 19 of 65
idmadcadder
in reply to: jfalkowski

It's always good to see this thread being revisited, unfortunetly it's too bad there is never a fix on it.  I too am still experience the dredded sloth loading on the custom tool palettes...even on 2015.  It still perplexes me though on how fast they load on regular AutoCAD, they load just like the out of the box tool palettes.  Now that we've updated everyone in the office to C3D though it's kind of a mute point...cause everyones loads slow now.  They do load fast though after you've made the palette or tab current...it's almost like they somehow need to be preloaded and accessed as your session of CAD starts up.

Civil 3D 2016 SP1
Windows 10 x64
Core i7 3.40 GHz 8gb RAM
Message 20 of 65
jfalkowski

Do most companies not use custom tool palettes?  I can't imagine that most users simply use the OOTB palettes...

We have been able to fix it by using legacy aws files from LDT days but the fix does not appear to work with '15.  I am getting pressure to deploy '15 but users will not be happy with the lag time while switching palette groups.  This is unacceptable.

Jon

IDSP '15 SP3 / '16 SP2

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report