Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Linetype: Basic line uses LTScale properly, Surv Fig Won't

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
doni49
877 Views, 15 Replies

Custom Linetype: Basic line uses LTScale properly, Surv Fig Won't

We have a custom linestyle for a Treeline.  If I use this linestyle with a basic LINE, I CAN change the LTScale.

But if I use this linetype with a Survey Figure, I can not change the scale fo the figure no matter what.  This Treeline is HUGE on my map.  I've change the LTScale under the Figure Style from 0.375 (what it started out as) to 1.5 to 10, 0.5 and back to 0.375.  It never once changed.

Just to be sure I was changing the right style, I changed the color and it DID change.

Any ideas?  TIA!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
tcorey
in reply to: doni49

Did you also apply a linetype to that survey figure style? It's no good applying an LT Scale to a Continuous line.

After checking that, try changing your ltscale by orders of magnitude instead of incrementally. Try 1, then 10, then 100, etc. It works for me if I apply Dashed, for example, and set a large ltscale.

Be sure you don't have a figure selected on the Toolspace Survey tab when you're trying to view the linetype on the drawing window. It puts a heavy preview line over the top and you won't see your line pattern.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 16
doni49
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

Did you also apply a linetype to that survey figure style? It's no good applying an LT Scale to a Continuous line.

Yes.  As I said, I have a custom linetype (it's a treeline) assigned to the line and the feature line.  Just to be sure I was changing the right feature line style, I changed the color and it DID change color.  But changing the scale in the style has no effect.

The line updates with the ltscale changes, the feature line does NOT.

EDIT:  as to the point about the heavy line and not being able to see the linetype, that's not it either -- the issue is that the linetype scale is TOO LARGE.  I need to make it smaller.

EDIT2:  I forgot to mention that in an effort to eliminate the possibility that this is a paperspace issue, I've been working on this in modelspace too.  It does the same thing in model space (both on the model tab AND viewports on sheet layouts).

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 16
doni49

Here are a few screenshots to help you visualize this.

To take each screen shot, I selected the feature line, clicked on "Edit Feature Line Style", changed to the "Display" tab and took a screen shot showing the current setting.  As needed, I changed a setting in this dialog and closed out of it.  Then did a REGEN and did it all over again to show the dialog (this is so that each screenshot shows the current setting and the result of that setting).

Lastly, I wanted to show that I am in fact editing the correct feature style so I changed the color to magenta and took  a screen shot.

FeatureLineScale0500.png

FeatureLineScale0375.png

FeatureLineScaleColor.png

And for comparison purposes, here's the properties of the LINE (that does show up correctly).

FeatureLineScaleLine.png

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 16
tcorey

Send me over the .dwg and .lin files. I tried it using Dashed and the linetype does update with a change in ltscale within the figure style.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 16
doni49

Here's my dwg file.  The linetype is part of our template that was used as a basis for creating this file (and it has been for so long, that nobody even knows where the actual lin file is anymore).

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 16
Jay_B

If I try editing a figure using our treeline style (which is similar to yours) it scales as expected.

Are these Setting Variables set to following values in your dwg?

Ltscale=1

Psltscale=1

Msltscale=1

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 8 of 16
Jay_B
in reply to: Jay_B

Answered my own question by opening your file. All are set to 1.

While the shape file is missing (so all I see is dots), I'm able to get the dot pattern to scale by entering a LT scale factor of 1 where you show .375.

Are you hitting "Apply" button (2) times as you close out of the Figure style dialogue?

I don't see the change until this has been completed.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 16
doni49

Ok.  Before posting, I had looked at the linetype definition to see what shx file it needed.  I didn't see one listed so I thought the creator had somehow figured out a way to do it without one.

Anyway, I believe this is the file it needs.  Due to the restrictions on this site, I had to put it in a zip file before uploading.

Thanks guys!

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 16
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:
Are you hitting "Apply" button (2) times as you close out of the Figure style dialogue?

Sorry I forgot to answer that question.  Yes I did hit Apply twice.  I also tried just pressing OK.  Which should write EVERY change made inside the dialog box.

And when I come back to the dialog next time, the changes that I made before ARE there.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 16
Jay_B

Well assuming your on 2012 C3d, I think you have found a BUG!

In 2012 C3d sp3 I can confirm your issue of not being able to change the LTSALE at the Figure object level.

When opened in 2014, the same file using the same shx the Treeline scales as expected.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 12 of 16
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

You almost make that sound like a good thing.   Man Frustrated

Yes, I'm on C3D 2012.

Don Ireland

Message 13 of 16
tcorey

@doni49 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You almost make that sound like a good thing.   Man Frustrated

Yes, I'm on C3D 2012.

Well, it's a good thing because you can stop trying to track down the solution. If it's a bug, it doesn't work. Your choices are live with it, devise a workaround or upgrade.

As a reseller, I would rather you upgrade. Smiley Wink

Thanks to Jay for finding the bug.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 14 of 16
doni49

@tcorey wrote:
As a reseller, I would rather you upgrade. Smiley Wink

Believe me, as a user, I'd rather upgrade too.  But it's not up to me.

We were told that we'd all be upgraded "sometime this fall".

Don Ireland

Message 15 of 16
tcorey

I know. There are lots of reasons not to upgrade and most of them are legitimate. I was just trying to be funny.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 16 of 16
doni49

@tcorey wrote:

. I was just trying to be funny.

I understand.  I'm used to being part of the team implementing the upgrades.  But I got downsized out of that job (after 13 1/2 years).  I don't get to "play with the new toys" as early in the process any more.  😞

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report