Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved Pressure Pipe Straightens after Profile creation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mermerCAD
1137 Views, 6 Replies

Curved Pressure Pipe Straightens after Profile creation

Hi-

I saw a post with the same problem, but no replies.  Hopefully, someone can help me.

I created a pressure pipe network with curved pipes.  After I created the profile and told the pipe to follow the surface, all of my curved pipes had turned into straight segments.  I wasn't able to convert them back to curved.  Any advice?

Meredith

C3D 2013

Windows 10

64-bit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
brad_unruh
in reply to: mermerCAD

We are experiencing the same issue.
Message 3 of 7
g_k50

It might be in how your pipe structures are defined.

Our local entities don't allow for curved pipes, the layout has to be straight with adjustments shown at the pipe joints.

In other words, the pipe is straight physically, it only bends at the physical joints where the joint is angled to the desired direction.

I'm not sure if you can define a pipe structure as being curved.

Message 4 of 7
mermerCAD
in reply to: g_k50

Thanks for your response, g_k50. Our municipalities do allow for curved pipes. For example, an 8" water main can have a crimp with a minimum radius of 189' with no joint deflections. We are using C3D 2014 now and have not built a pressure network since we switched over. However, I do know that when I create a network and am adding pipe, it gives me the option of straight or curved so C3D 2014 is set up to do curved pipe. I believe 2013 was the same way. I haven't gotten to the profile creation aspect of the pressure network in 2014 yet, but I'm hoping it doesn't straighten the pipe like it did before. Meredith
Message 5 of 7
drenaud

I am experiencing this also, in C3D 2016. I can layout a curved pipe in plan, but when I adjust the elevations of the pipe segments that make up the "curve" in profile, the plan converts the entire "curved" part of the network to one, straight pipe cutting across the chord of the curve.

The only way I know to force it to do it right is to draw 20 foot (standard stick length) pipe segments around the curve - which is tedious.

is there a solution to this, or is it another drawback to using pressure pipes? the only thing I can find in a-desk documentation is that the minimum flex radius has to be 0. i have this for my ductile iron pipe. but instead of breaking it into many 20 foot segments, it forces one, long pipe across the whole curve.

Message 6 of 7
Kekeken
in reply to: drenaud

2-1/2 years later, 2019 C3D, and the problem still exists.

What say you, Autodesk?

@drenaud wrote:

I am experiencing this also, in C3D 2016. I can layout a curved pipe in plan, but when I adjust the elevations of the pipe segments that make up the "curve" in profile, the plan converts the entire "curved" part of the network to one, straight pipe cutting across the chord of the curve.

The only way I know to force it to do it right is to draw 20 foot (standard stick length) pipe segments around the curve - which is tedious.

is there a solution to this, or is it another drawback to using pressure pipes? the only thing I can find in a-desk documentation is that the minimum flex radius has to be 0. i have this for my ductile iron pipe. but instead of breaking it into many 20 foot segments, it forces one, long pipe across the whole curve.

Message 7 of 7
terryl
in reply to: Kekeken

Still there in 2018 and 2019, please help AUTODESK

Civil 3D 2021
Dell 5510
Win 10 Pro X64
Intel Xeon 3.2 GHz
32 GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro 4000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report