Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve off One Tangent..?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
soundengine
403 Views, 4 Replies

Curve off One Tangent..?

Hello.. Drawing up a property boundary that happens to consist of many curves. In my old Cad, R14, I could draw the Radial to the curve, and then do a "Curve off One Tangent" and draw the curve by punching in the Delta/Length, and Radius.. In Civil 3d, I cant seem to find anyway where to draw Curves off Tangents, or between 2 tangents, or anything remotely close to what used to be on R14. In fact, it took me three days just to figure out how to do Lines By Direction. And, that was by typing "Line", the typing 'BD. PLease, someone, tell me there is an easier way...

Thanks,
=-Ben
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: soundengine

Can one assume that you have the "Transparent Commands" toolbar visible? There are a few tools there & using them with regular AutoCad commands, most any configuration can be accomplished. The easiest one is to use the fillet (radius) command. Bill "soundengine" wrote in message news:12414895.1107992237398.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello.. Drawing up a property boundary that happens to consist of many curves. In my old Cad, R14, I could draw the Radial to the curve, and then do a "Curve off One Tangent" and draw the curve by punching in the Delta/Length, and Radius.. In Civil 3d, I cant seem to find anyway where to draw Curves off Tangents, or between 2 tangents, or anything remotely close to what used to be on R14. In fact, it took me three days just to figure out how to do Lines By Direction. And, that was by typing "Line", the typing 'BD. PLease, someone, tell me there is an easier way... > > Thanks, > =-Ben
Message 3 of 5
soundengine

Ahh.. Not bad.. It is a start.

So, I am drawing a line that we will say is N 35D20'22" E, 200ft.

At the end is an arc,
D = 110d36'35"
R = 110'
L = 212.36,

which then connects to a reverse arc of:
D = 28d27'10"
R = 110'
L = 54.63'

Which, then connects into a line going elsewhere.

Can someone here please explain to me how they would calc this on Civil 3d? Back in R14 I would go:
1)Line By Direction... First Line.
2)Curve off Tangent.... First Arc done.
3)Curves-> Compound or Reverse Curves.... Second Arc Done.
4)Line By Direction.... Continue with the rest of the project.

Keep in mind that I only have Delta's, Radius, and Length.. So I cant do the angles by decimal.. Lets assume that all lines are tangent with the arcs.
I hate to be a pest about this, but this IS my job... hehe, and I have no idea how to use C3d... a Book would have been nice...

But, this forum has been very useful for me.
Thanks,
=-Ben
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Well, this is just geometry. Offset your 200 tangent 110', the end of the line will be the radius point of the curve start a curve (arc) with the 110' radius. Use the "lengthen" command for L=211.36. (or use the "D"x2 angle to locate the end of the curve.) "soundengine" wrote in message news:9042186.1107997258929.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Ahh.. Not bad.. It is a start. > > So, I am drawing a line that we will say is N 35D20'22" E, 200ft. > > At the end is an arc, > D = 110d36'35" > R = 110' > L = 212.36, > > which then connects to a reverse arc of: > D = 28d27'10" > R = 110' > L = 54.63' > > Which, then connects into a line going elsewhere. > > Can someone here please explain to me how they would calc this on Civil 3d? Back in R14 I would go: > 1)Line By Direction... First Line. > 2)Curve off Tangent.... First Arc done. > 3)Curves-> Compound or Reverse Curves.... Second Arc Done. > 4)Line By Direction.... Continue with the rest of the project. > > Keep in mind that I only have Delta's, Radius, and Length.. So I cant do the angles by decimal.. Lets assume that all lines are tangent with the arcs. > I hate to be a pest about this, but this IS my job... hehe, and I have no idea how to use C3d... a Book would have been nice... > > But, this forum has been very useful for me. > Thanks, > =-Ben
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Sounds like we're going to be traversing through a lot of radius pts and adding arcs until the survey module is released. "soundengine" wrote in message news:12414895.1107992237398.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello.. Drawing up a property boundary that happens to consist of many curves. In my old Cad, R14, I could draw the Radial to the curve, and then do a "Curve off One Tangent" and draw the curve by punching in the Delta/Length, and Radius.. In Civil 3d, I cant seem to find anyway where to draw Curves off Tangents, or between 2 tangents, or anything remotely close to what used to be on R14. In fact, it took me three days just to figure out how to do Lines By Direction. And, that was by typing "Line", the typing 'BD. PLease, someone, tell me there is an easier way... > > Thanks, > =-Ben

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report