Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve and Spiral Label - Expression Question

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
nickseman
1480 Views, 5 Replies

Curve and Spiral Label - Expression Question

I need to create an expression to generate some curve data not currently available under the curve parameters - however the data I need to generate is dependent upon parameters belonging to both the Curve and Spiral. Is there a way that I can refer to a spiral parameter while building an expression for a curve? thanks, Nick
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadguru42
in reply to: nickseman

@Anonymous wrote:
I need to create an expression to generate some curve data not currently available under the curve parameters - however the data I need to generate is dependent upon parameters belonging to both the Curve and Spiral. Is there a way that I can refer to a spiral parameter while building an expression for a curve? thanks, Nick

I've just run into the exact same problem. Apparently curve and spiral segments can't talk to each other and I'm at a loss on how to make a curve-spiral label that meets TDOT standards. Did you ever find a solution? Below is what I'd like for a spiral-curve-spiral label to look like. When I tried making an expression to calculate some of the spiral data, the spiral and curve segments can't talk with each other. Apparently Microstation has been able to do this for decades, so why can't Civil 3D?

PI 123+94.79
N 749,023.1531
E 3,026,736.1132
Δ 53° 55' 25" (RT)
Δc 41° 55' 25" (RT)
D 4° 00' 00"
R 1,432.39
Lc 1,048.09
Ts 879.91
Ls 300.00
Ɵs 6° 00' 00"
K 149.95'

Side note:

This is related to a major issue I have with Civil 3D that just hasn't been addressed in a decade. Why are so many of the "intelligent" objects walled off from each other? In this case, it's the same Civil 3D object and one segment can't relate to another. For a true BIM, at the minimum, object data should be available for analysis between objects. That's what makes it intelligent in the first place. With C3D we have a half-hearted attempt to do this that has great promise, but after a decade that goal seems to have eluded Autodesk. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 6
Cadguru42
in reply to: Cadguru42

So there is no way in Civil 3D to make a label like this for a spiral-curve-spiral?
C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 4 of 6

We really need urgent help in this issue to combine both spiral, line and curve parameters in Civil Expressions.

Do anyone have some lisp or macro program that may help in this?

I wonder why Civil 3D Developers didn't work on this issue.

Message 5 of 6

After Massive search and trails I have very good news.. I discovered the way to generate expressions that uses combination amongst tangent, curve and spiral parameter for your labels.

Just go to tool space -> Settings -> Alignments -> Label Styles -> Tangent Intersection.

form this you can copy any label style and edit on it with what ever experssions you build for any alignment segment.

you can add the labels form (Point of Intersection) labels for alignment.

please see the attached images.

Enjoy 🙂

Message 6 of 6

Hi, I would like to share this vídeo ,
https://youtu.be/myNkHhouM0Y (spanish)
Simón Noyola
simon.noyola@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report