Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curve Widening for single lane roads

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
dratliff
990 Views, 2 Replies

Curve Widening for single lane roads

I'm working on a road design for a single lane Forest Road. The road has a 14' lane width and the design needs to accomidate a low-boy trailer with a 18' tractor and 36' trailer. When i set my alignment offsets to add curve widening to the inside of the curves, the program treats my assembly as a two lane road, therefore it adds curve widening referencing the 7' lane rather than the entire road. This makes my road much wider than necessary as the critical vehicle is allowed to use the entire road prism for the turns. The widening error is especially noticable in places where the the road has back to back reverse horizontal curves.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you,

David Ratliff

Civil Engineer, USFS

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ericcollins6932
in reply to: dratliff

Hi David,

Try this to add automatic widening by manually specifying widening parameters

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2014/ENG/index.html?url=filesCUG/GUID-8849869E-56E6-4809-BCB3-1AE5C13...

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 3
gonecrawfishin
in reply to: dratliff

I am having the same struggle. The manual widening feature really limits your options in terms of how AASHTO (or other) criteria is specified for the 2+ lane options.

Instead, I tried allowing for widening "on both sides" using 1 left and 1 right lane, then just deleted one of the two. It's not bad. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report