Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curb issues

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
mdipasquale
648 Views, 11 Replies

Curb issues

I have an assembly that includes basic lane transition, basic curb and gutter, and daylight general. I have two alignments with FG profiles, CL and lip. Transition is set up as change offset and elevation. At areas where the transitions occur(where the Flow line alignment is not parallel to the center line alignment) I get a strange curb. The corridor seems fine but the curb is screwed up. Attached is an image showing the curb. Any thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
sboon
in reply to: mdipasquale

Are we looking at a corridor surface in your attachment?
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 12
mdipasquale

No. It is the FG surface with object viewer.
Message 4 of 12
BrianHailey

Did you add the appropriate feature lines from your corridor to your surface?

Brian

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 12
sboon

Your problem appears to be related to the Delauney Triangulation algorithm, which Civil3D uses to build surfaces. One of the rules of Delauney leads to triangles that are built with all three sides as short as possible - every point is supposed to be connected to its nearest neighbors.

It's hard to tell from the image, but I'm guessing that the taper in your curb line is creating a situation where the flowline point at each station is closer to the top of curb and back of curb points of the next station, so those three points are connected as a triangle. The result of this is the surface you are seeing.

The solution to the problem is fairly simple. When you build a surface in a corridor, using either links or feature lines check the "use as breakline" option. This will force the TIN to follow the breaks, and should clean up the edges of the curb.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 12
mdipasquale

The surface I created was with Data Type:Links and Specify Code:Top.
Message 7 of 12
sboon

Open the Surfaces tab in the corridor properties and turn on the checkbox for the Add as Breakline option. If that doesn't solve the problem then add Feature line data to your surface, using the Flowline and Top of Curb codes until you get what you need.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 12
mdipasquale

I tried the breakline option but didn't help. I then built the surface with feature lines data and it solved the problem. Very clean surface. Just need to make sure I use all the correct feature lines! Thanks for all your help.
Message 9 of 12
mdipasquale

Using the feature lines for the surface, should the panorama tool show Errors for the FG with description as Breakline?
Message 10 of 12
sboon

Duplicate point errors, or something else?
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 11 of 12
mdipasquale

The error description is breakline (x1,y1) - (x2,y2) not added - crossed a point at (x3,y3).
Message 12 of 12
sboon

The corridor is now adding data at the link points, then adding data for the feature line points. Since they cross, the software rejects the extra point.

It shouldn't be a problem, since the coordinates are the same.
Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report