Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curb Islands

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
jmayo-EE
979 Views, 7 Replies

Curb Islands

Looking for curb island solutions. he project is done and we graded the islands with Flines for simplicity on a pilot project.

Given a project with 170 curb islands, most of which have inside and outside 90deg corners what would be your prefered method to grade these?

I have tried unsuccesfully to reverse the 'dynamic differential TIN surface' method. Has anyone done this successfully for curb islands?

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/infrastructure-design-suite/ci...

Ran a few corridors but the 90deg coners do not model correctly and I have a top of curb breakline beiing ignored on all of these corners.

I did a few grading objects, lost a few grading objects and recreated a few grading objects...

Am I missing a method or two? How do you prefer to grade a large number of these?

John Mayo

EESignature

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Are you crossing an alignment?

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 8
ralstogj

Hi
I have extended my workflow to include the dynamic tinn method to get better volumes and a subgrade surface. Typically I have the depth of island felines offset 0.5m inside the face of the kerb as we place 0.2m of bad course behind the kerb to support it.on a basic job I would create the deep surface using all the depth felines as break lines. But sometimes you do not get a clean depth surface so then I put all the island depth iTunes into one site and the place an infill grading object in each island and then make a surface from this grading group and paste that into the depth surface. I am looking to extend the process further to assign qto codes to my felines of the islands and car park kerbs to give area and lengths. I have always though a good additional to civil3d would be an island wizard where you could save island shapes a bit like blocks and then have then inserted in the drawing this would be helpful on corridor islands especially if you could lock the start and end point of the island to a alignment chain ages I understand the package 12d does something like this.
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: ralstogj

ralstogj wrote:
Hi
I have extended my workflow to include the dynamic tinn method to get better volumes and a subgrade surface. Typically I have the depth of island felines offset 0.5m inside the face of the kerb as we place 0.2m of bad course behind the kerb to support it.on a basic job I would create the deep surface using all the depth felines as break lines. But sometimes you do not get a clean depth surface so then I put all the island depth iTunes into one site and the place an infill grading object in each island and then make a surface from this grading group and paste that into the depth surface. I am looking to extend the process further to assign qto codes to my felines of the islands and car park kerbs to give area and lengths. I have always though a good additional to civil3d would be an island wizard where you could save island shapes a bit like blocks and then have then inserted in the drawing this would be helpful on corridor islands especially if you could lock the start and end point of the island to a alignment chain ages I understand the package 12d does something like this.

There is integration between iTunes and Civil 3D..???.....:)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
ralstogj

No Neil big fingers using an iphone with auto correct on annual leave sad I know

justin
Regards

Justin Ralston
http://c3dxtreme.blogspot.com/
Message 6 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

No crossings Todd.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
jmayo-EE
in reply to: ralstogj

"But sometimes you do not get a clean depth surface so then I put all the island depth iTunes into one site and the place an infill grading object in each island and then make a surface from this grading group and paste that into the depth surface"

Thanks Justin. I have used the subgrade method successfully for earthworks I was wondering if anyone has revised the process for a dynamic curb island application. I still think this should be easily done but my results are looking squirrely. I do want to expermiment a bit with your comment above. Thanks.

I am also goint to test the method recommended elseware by Joe Bouza where one creates an alignment for BC and offset alignment for TC. Sample a profile on TC form a copy of the FG raised .5' and use the Fline from alg command. I think this may be the winner due to stability and the dynamic relationship.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
jmayo-EE

My solution was Joe Bouza's recommended workflow above.

If he posted here He would have ad kudos and the solution...

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report