Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curb Height transitions

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
cwright
6628 Views, 15 Replies

Curb Height transitions

Trying to model a curb height transition in my corridor.     Over about 15' I want to go from a 6" curb to flush.PlanViewCurbHeightTransition.PNG 

The only way I can seem to get it to show accurately is to leave a void in my corridor.   This alows the surface which is created from the corridor to model correctly and give me a transiton of my curb height from 6" to flush.  Here's the object viewer showing it correctly:

objectViewerTransition.PNG

However, there are a few problems with this approach.  Mainly I've come to like the way the relatively new "exrtract corridor solids" tool (toolspace, toolbox, miscellaneous Utilities, corridor solids).  I use this to create a fairly nice looking Navisworks model.   With the void, now my model has a void.  It seems to me that there should be a way to have a subassembly that can target both the back of curb profile and the edge of gutter simaltaneously.  I've tried with the standard subassembly "UrbanReplaceCurbGutter2" but with no luck.   Has anyone been successful modeling a curb height transition within their corridor?

Thanks

Chris

running Civil 3D 2014 on a 2 year old Dell laptop (and it works!)

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dasindog
in reply to: cwright

Is this one corridor or multiple corridor surfaces pasted into a single surface?

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 3 of 16
JOHNMCMENAMIN3259

This is what I have done in the past and maybe will help you.  Go to Corridors>View/Edit Corridors Section.   Under the "Station Selection", choose the station where you want the curb to be flush with the paving (or whatever elevation you want the curb to be at that location).   Under Corridor Edit Tools, select Parameter Editor.   You will see the various parts of your assembly at that cross section and the various data associated with each parts.  Find the curbing you are interested in changing the elevation and change the depth to the appropriate value.   You will have to remember how much curb is below ground and in turn change the depth to match this dimension.  For example, if you have a total curb height of 26" (18" below grade and 8" above), you will change the depth to 18".   This will make the curb height at that section flush with the surface.    Hope this works for you.

Message 4 of 16
cwright
in reply to: dasindog

Dustin, 

It's one corridor and one surface.

Message 5 of 16
dasindog

Is the void only happening when you take it to Navisworks? It looks like it is accomplishing what you want in the screen shot, as far as the transition part goes.

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 6 of 16
MikeEvansUK

This is the method I always use, I find that it works well so long as you don't get an intermediate section added.

What I have done in the past is create a feature line and either break it at the location of the funny station and interrogate one level from another to obtain the height required.

I have another solution;

Instead of using the Kerb subassembly use a generic link (offset&Elevation) set the dimensions for the kerb width & offset. Export the back of Kerb featureline as designed full height. Now trim featureline back to a station before & after the transition, adjust the level to form the transition (snap to corridor model in 3d view for ease) and target the featureline for elevation. Just remember to set the point codes correctly so you do not get gaps or jolts.

However, there is a fundamental flaw in designing transitions: if you have a footway / verge adjacent the back of footway level should normally follow the top of kerb controlled by gradient, so you need to add some hidden links in to overcome this issue.

For that reason I normally do not design the transitions in 3d but instead provide setting out for construction with a detail.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 16
cwright
in reply to: JOHNMCMENAMIN3259

Thanks John,

I think I understand the concept but need  to do a bit more trial and error.   At this point it seems like this only overrides the section selected... makes sense.    So with this method, I would need to got to each section in the transiton and override the curb height and depth; e.g. at the middway point I change my curb height to 3"...  Am I understanding this correctly?   

It doesn't appear to be updating the surface properly though.. again I will continue to mess with it.

Message 8 of 16
cwright
in reply to: dasindog

Dustin,
Shows correct with the surface in Civil 3D object viewer.
Shows void for the corridor in Civil 3D object viewer.
Shows void in navisworks file created from the corridor in Navisworks.
Message 9 of 16
JOHNMCMENAMIN3259

Your right that you would have to do as you propose.   However, I will go into the Corridor Properties and split the region.  I end the corrdior region where the full upright curb ends.   I start a new region where the flush curb is to begin.   Then you are left with a gap where the transition occurs.  Generally my transitions are short in length.  So I will start a new region where the upright curb ends and then end the transition where the flush curb starts.  I then only have to change the last cross-section in the parameter editor for the curb to be flush.   (Just have to make sure your frequency in the corridors properties for that region is not a small value or you will have to insert variable curb depths).

Message 10 of 16
cwright
in reply to: JOHNMCMENAMIN3259

Thanks John and thanks to all for the help... not to mention the quick responses.     I went with what John suggests... it gives me a good solids file to make my .nwc file, and it fills the void I had in my corridor.    

Have a great day everyone.

Message 11 of 16
MikeEvansUK

Here you all are, try this for a quick fix.

Attached is a subassembly created in SAC 2013, transition kerb based on same principles as the generic kerb.

Fully editable feature codes etc. Transitions either from the channel or the back of kerb to an elevation target.

I'm not great at sac yet so I suspect that it may get into problems if the resultant height is zero or negative. I have tested and as far as I can see it does work correctly.

Limitations: Rear of kerb is not sloped only the front is sloped.

Give it a try and feel free to improve on it but if you do please post it back here. Rename File from txt to PKT

M.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 12 of 16
fcernst

Subassembly transitions were thoroughly addressed just last week. They are to be done through the subassembly Parameter Reference workflow, either by using the transition control subassembly provided by Peter Funk, or implementing the Boon-Kohlberg generic link/dummy profile method.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 13 of 16
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: fcernst

Thanks, I will always follow The Implemented Workarounds as Stated and shall not deviate in any other way.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English

Message 14 of 16
Yellowjacket98

Hello,

Another way to work through this is to use variable lane width (and let math be your friend!) I have a curb return that needs to transition from 8" to 6" (from an existing to a proposed road, so using Intersection Wizard is not in the cards), so I created an alignment for the face of the curb, and then made a second alignment that followed the back of the curb... almost. Offset it two times, at one-inch increments. Now adjust the back of curb alignment to where the 6" end it is almost (but not right at) the back of curb, then put the 8" end of the alignment at the end of the 2" offset. Adjust the midpoint of the alignment to the midpoint of the 1" offset arc. In your assembly, create a curb and tack on a variable-width lane that targets this back of curb alignment. Give it a default width of 0.01' (needs to be small because it will override your alignment if you are not careful), and set the slope to 100%, and make the parameters read, "Hold grade, change offset." And here is where the math comes into play: a 0" offset at 100% slope rises 0.0", a 1" offset at 100% slope rises 1", and a 2" offset at 100% rises 2". So yes, in plan view you will be off a few inches at the back of curb, but your elevations will be right for the most part and you can tie in to both curb heights without the use of either a void area or multiple assemblies. Also, in your corridor definition you will only need to set the horizontal target for the back of curb; no vertical target is needed. I hope this helps...

CRF

Civ3D 2016 SP3, Windows X 

Message 15 of 16
654work
in reply to: Yellowjacket98

Would this be another option for curb height transition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-f4Ep7TXyE

Message 16 of 16
Yellowjacket98
in reply to: 654work

The packets thing is all new to me, but from what I've seen in the past, Bartels makes excellent instructional videos. It was a bit over my head! 🙂 But I'm sure it is a very useful tool.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report