Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross sections & Reports

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
novais
861 Views, 13 Replies

Cross sections & Reports

Hello, 

In a particular road project i need to show for all the cross sections, the coordinates (x,y) of the main points ( for example: daylight, etw and crown). I know that i can obtain it from reports->corridor  but as far as i know, i must edit in excel and paste each PK info next to the correspondant cross section.

Is there a way more automatic raher than copy paste the report list?

Thank you all.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer
in reply to: novais

The only way I know to label those specific points is through the labels assigned in the code set styles.  Not sure why you need N & E. If you can label the offset and elev at that particular station, the construction surveyors can lay it out. See image.

10-19-2012 1-25-53 PM.png

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User
Website | Facebook | Twitter

Message 3 of 14
novais
in reply to: Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Thank you for the idea. This issue was a request by the contractor, i'm not used to put this kind of info into cross sections.

The idea is something like the picture i've attached.

Thank you.

Message 4 of 14
SurveyorLee

You could set up a template and generate cogo points from the corridor, then give the contractor the points and a plan shee with the points shown

Lee

Message 5 of 14
novais

The labels in code set style seems to me like a good idea but when i goto the style label  component editor, it doesn't have any coordinates info that i can use, it only displays point code, point code description, subassembly point offset, subassembly point offset side and subassembly point elevation. Where can i extract the cooordinates data?

Maybe it's a dumb question but here i'm off my knowledge boundary... 

Thanks for the support.

Nuno

Message 6 of 14
SurveyorLee

It's been a while since I did it.  You create your point descriptors and codes in the template, then run the template on the profile.  That creates points at each station. You will neeed to assing a station list to get odd stations like the inlets and high and low points, and any other odd station, like the pc's and pt's

I used this in the "olden days," when i had residential streets to stake. Using it, i comped stakeout data for curb, storm, curb offsets, sanitary sewers and centerlines. 

Surveyor Lee

Message 7 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Nuno - You are correct, there isn't a component for the NE.  Just not sure why it's needed, you have the station along the alignment, you have the offset, NE shouldn't be necessary.  As others have said, you can extract points from the corridor.  Our construction surveyors stake off the cross sections without issue.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 8 of 14
wfberry

Nuno:

Here is how this should or could be done.  You really do not need the NE in the label.  The point should  be AT the proper coordinate location.

For instance, let's take a simple case.  Civil 3D makes it quite easy to get points along the center line at the elevation of the final grade (from the profile elevation of the alignment).

If you want to stake a curb grade that is 12' from the centerline and is 0.2 feet above the centerline grade, you can offset the centerline point 14' (2' off back of curb) and 0.2' higher.  The points will have the NE as part of the point structure (x,yz) in the point file.

Keep in mind that the project should be in a coordinate system. 

This is in no way a primer on how to accomplish this.  It takes an understanding of the software.

Bill

Message 9 of 14
wfberry

Lisa:

I bet your surveyors do not work alone like some of us.

<G>

Bill

Message 10 of 14
novais

You all are correct, and i know that from the beginning.

For me, also, it doesn't make any sense at all, but it's an imposition from the contractor. I can't  talk with him and explain that he doesn't need that kind of info in cross sections. Smiley Frustrated

I'm stuck in making a corridor report and paste the N/E info into each cross section...

Thanks.

Message 11 of 14
SurveyorLee

YOu say the contractor doesn't need it.  How do you know? Have you asked what the intended use will be. Around here, most of the contractors have their own survey crews.  Give them the NE, and they can go.  MOst have not worked with station and offset enougth to do it if the road is anything but straight.

Surveyor Lee

Message 12 of 14
novais
in reply to: SurveyorLee

From my experience working with survey teams and contractors, they work mostly with lists providing station,X, Y and Z elements.

The cross sections never shows X,Y info. 

Even so, this is getting out of my question scope.

Thanks for the toughts sharing! 

Message 13 of 14
Lisa_Pohlmeyer

Would this work for you?  This is a section view label with an Reference Alignment label component.  Yes, you'd have to add them manually, but may be easier than copy/paste.

Lisa Pohlmeyer
Civil 3D User

Message 14 of 14
novais
in reply to: SurveyorLee

Thanks Lisa for the idea, it's another aproach to the question.

Meanwhile i've issued my first cross sections to the contractor for aproval... 

I've created a feature line report with my top surface and for each station i copy from excel and paste it into c3d.

Thanks! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report