Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Gutters and Spandrels with the Intersection Wizard

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
jonathan
3202 Views, 18 Replies

Cross Gutters and Spandrels with the Intersection Wizard

Any one have any opinions or tips on using the Intersection Wizard to create an intersection and then editing it to incorporate a spandrel or am I better of not even using the wizard and creating the spandrel from feature lines/alignments?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Better off not using the "wizard".

In my opinion the "wizard" is only useful in the most simplistic cases, most often seen in product demonstrations.

That aside the functionality is there to create intersections with cross gutters and spandrels.

Message 3 of 19
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jonathan

Your nomenclature is unfamiliar to me, althought I know the words Im not sure what you mean by cross gutters and spandrels?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 19

Google: "San Diego Regional Standard Drawings", Drawing G-12

Not that I am anywhere near San Diego myself...

Message 5 of 19
jonathan

The San Diego detail, or variations thereof, is bacally the goal.

Message 6 of 19

Ok. Thats what I thought it was: a concrete valley gutter. I presume the spandrel is the curb return. Why is this so difficult to create with the wizzard?

Wouldn't an alignment for the flow path get you what you want? Holding the primary road crown?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 19

Take a look at the detail. Assuming you have radial sampling of an assembly along the curb return, the wizard would not only need to target and edge offset and elevation (the extension of the primary road shoulder) but also intermediate ones as the sample his the flow lines in the gutter and spandrel. The assembly would need to have dynamic intermediate grade brakes if using the wizard.

Message 8 of 19
sboon
in reply to: publicworksengineer

An interesting problem.  I think I can see a way that it could be done.Clipboard01.png

Build outward from the two centerlines to the red marked lines using normal lane subs.  The profile and superelevation parameters of the side road would have to be adjusted to form the gutter across the intersection and transition to normal crown at the ends of the side road curb returns.  Extract the edge of pavement featurelines at the red lines on the sketch.  For the returns I would use an assembly that starts at the face of the curb and links across to the extracted featureline.  Then it uses a generic pavement sub to link horizontally and vertically back to a featureline representing the flowline, followed by another one to connect back to the alignment and profile at the curb face.

BTW: The wizard would be useful here to create the necessary offset alignments, curb return alignments and profiles.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 19
sboon
in reply to: sboon

It took a while but I've been able to make it work.  I used the wizard to create the offset alignments and curb return alignments, and deleted the pieces I didn't need.  Then I created the assemblies and the corridors.

The file is too large for uploading.  If anyone wants a copy then PM me and I'll post it to Dropbox or somewhere else.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 19
publicworksengineer

Nice post Steve. +1 for you.

Message 11 of 19
jonathan

Great Job Steve, especially being able to incorporate the intersection wizard.  I just PM'd you so hopefully the dwg will answer most of my questions, but in the meantime perhaps you could clear things up a bit.  I follow your procedure up to "Then it uses a generic pavement sub to link horizontally and vertically back to a featureline representing the flowline" could you elaborate for somewhat of a intersection corridor noob.

Message 12 of 19
sboon

Typically with an assembly you start at the design alignment / profile and work outward to the left or right.  In my process what happens is that the assembly uses the LinkOffsetAndElevation to move left, to the edge of pavement from the other corridor.  I then have two ConditionalHorizontal subs.  One of them, if it locates the F/L representing the flowline, has a generic pavement sub with it's outside edge tied to that F/L horizontally and vertically.  Then there is a second generic pavement sub which is tied to the alignment and profile that the assembly started from at the curb line.  The other ConditionalHorizontal works only if the F/L cannot be found.  In that case it uses a single pavement sub all the way to the curb.

Clipboard01.png

For the picture I've turned on the LinkOffsetAndElevation, but in the finished version it's not visible.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 13 of 19
jmayo-EE

Nice work as always Steve.

May I have a peak. johnmATconklinassociatesDOTcom

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 14 of 19
sboon
in reply to: jmayo-EE

No problem John - pick any one you like from the attachment.  Please excuse the dead bugs however Smiley Wink

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 15 of 19
rebeccac

Hello.  I realize this post is very old, but do you still have this drawing to share with others?

Message 16 of 19
jonathan
in reply to: rebeccac

Here it is.

Jonathan Guzman P.L.S.

Survey Department Manager

*Fomotor Engineering*

225 South Civic Drive

Suite 1-5

Palm Springs CA, 92262

Ph. (760) 323-1842

Fax (760) 323-1742
Message 17 of 19
CesarCarrillo3157

I am running into similar situation. If you could share how you handled this that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cesar

Message 18 of 19
ssims
in reply to: CesarCarrillo3157

I realize this post is old and I am running into the same situation, would you be able to provide the file used so I can reference it? 

Message 19 of 19
sboon

It's been quite a while but every now and then I get a message asking about this one.  The original drawing was too large for the forum site back then and it's long gone, so I've recreated a modern version. 

Newer features within Civil 3d allow for some improvements, like dynamic links to the lane edge feature lines, and a superelevation view, so that people can see how that is being used to match the cross slope of the east-west road to the profile of the north-south alignment.  I've also refined my technique for linking corridors to each other, by setting the default frequencies to 1000m but also forcing curb corridor sections at points to match the lanes corridor.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Like buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report