Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating surface and contours from dwg file

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
kgoorah
7871 Views, 15 Replies

Creating surface and contours from dwg file

Hi,

I have an autocad 2010 dwg file with points having XYZ coordinates scattered over the development area. I have opened this file in civilcad3d, created a surface and added contour. I got the error messages breakline not added, etc. Also, despite the points have heights also, it's showing 0.00 m. Please help to to sort this out. I am enclosing the dwg file herewith. 

Thanks,

Kavi

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
neilyj666
in reply to: kgoorah

Not sure what you are asking here - you can create a surface from the level blocks but as there are no levels on the road linework then the surface will be a bit basic.

The drawing units also seem to be milllimeters - change to meters and also create/choose a style that displays contours at the required interval

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 16
justin.ziemba

You need to have Civil Points to create the Surface.  You can convert AutoCAD Points over, but when opening the file, I am getting a message that the file came from a non-ADSK source.

How were those Points created?

Justin Ziemba
Manager, Customer Support Services

Message 4 of 16
lkaliakatsos

Hi Kavi,

You just have to do the following:

1. Change the drawing units into meters instead of millimeters (not through ddunits but right-click on the drawing in the toolspace - see the attached image).

2. Add the points blocks directly into the surface. See the second attached image and in the list with the various object types, choose "Block".

3. Change the surface style to display contours.

If there's something you don't know how to do it, just let me know.

I hope this helps.

-Lambros

@neilyj: Now I read your post and it seems that I just trasnformed your answer into steps. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 16
kgoorah
in reply to: justin.ziemba

hi,

I got the xyz points from the surveyor. I think he uses model draw software. There must be a way to convert these points for civilcad3d to recognise?

thanks,

kavi

Message 6 of 16
kgoorah
in reply to: lkaliakatsos

Hi Lambros,

thanks for your help. Well i have tried what you have said, but still i don't get any contour lines. I think civilcad does not recognise the xyz points. Don't know how to proceed, because most of my drawings have xyz points from dwg files. How to use them in civilcad.............? what are the steps to get civil3d points, create surface, contours and design road profiles..?

thanks to revert back,

Kavi

Message 7 of 16
AllenJessup

The drawing, as you posted it, doesn't have any Surface Styles that show contours. If fact I only see one style - Standard. I created a Surface, added the blocks to the definition and creates a Style that shows Major and Minor Contours.

I see a couple of contours plus a "hole" created by a block at 0 elevation.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 16
kgoorah

Thanks Allen,

I will try that and revert back.

Regards,

Kavi. 

Message 9 of 16
kgoorah
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen,

Well i have tried it, but when adding contours the points are not selected. Cannot see any contour lines generated. Pls let me know how you did it. I am enclosing the drawing which i have worked out as you have said. 

Thanks,

Kavi. 

Message 10 of 16
Jeff_M

Thaw Layer 0......

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 11 of 16
kgoorah

Hi Allen,

I think i got it now. I had freezed all the other surfaces except point and height, that's why wasn't seeing it. Now will proceed with the design. 

Thanks,

Kavi

Message 12 of 16
kgoorah

Hi,

Can anyone help me with creating surface and contours for the enclosed dwg. I have changed the units to meters, created a surface, but cannot select the points for block. 

Thanks and regards,

Kavi

Message 13 of 16
kgoorah

Hi Allen,

It worked. thanks a lot. 

Regards,

KAvi

Message 14 of 16
kgoorah

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the drawing site 1 posted at post 14. 

Thanks,

Kavi

Message 15 of 16
NathanBee

Kavi,

I had a quick look at your drawing.

1. Type DDPTYPE into the command line. Change this to an easy-to-see point type.

2. In Toolspace-->Prospector, go to Definition and right-click on definition and select Add and choose points.

3. Select all your Autocad points. (An easier way to do this would be before Step 2, select one green point and one blue point, then right-click and choose 'Select Similar', then press enter. Now do Step 2, but instead of selecting all your points individually, type PSELECT and then type 'P' for Previous. This will select all of your points.)

4. Your surface now has a definition.

See attached for contours shown using an Existing 0.5m and 2.5m contour style, and also a screenshot from Object Viewer.

Your drawing was a bit weird though, in that I couldn't apply my contour label styles to it (after I had dragged them in from one of my templates. Hmmmm...

This point is important: always use a template at start up that has more than just the 'Standard' styles in it. This is the basis of how your future drawings will 'work' and/or look.

Hope this helps.

Nathan Bartholomew | CAD/Civil Designer | CPG New Zealand Ltd
WELLINGTON | AUCKLAND | NEW ZEALAND
A Downer EDI company.

Civil3D 2011 | Version 2
Windows 7 | SP2
Intel Xeon Quad Core @ 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800

Message 16 of 16
kgoorah
in reply to: NathanBee

Thanks Nathan,

That was of great help. I would use a template as you have proposed from now on. Would save on time formating each time. Thanks again.

Regards,

Kavi.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report