Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating structures: Am I underthinking this?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
deltacoolguy
250 Views, 4 Replies

Creating structures: Am I underthinking this?

In a couple instances I've taken existing structures in our library and modified them in the block editor to match jurisdiction-specific dimensions.  I then create (copy) a new style for the new structure.  This seems to work well and is easy, it at least looks fine on the plans, but... an I under-thinking this and missing something important?  For example, should I be creating all structures from scratch?

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Nope, I don't think you are missing anything.

While Civil 3D is marketed as a BIM product it doesn't even come close to being a BIM product. Even if you do model the structure correctly in Part Builder showing structures in profile view aren't even projected correctly if you do the outline of the structure as the style. Civil 3D assumes you look at it at one direction and doesn't reflect the rotation of the structure in the profile view. So in short Civil 3D sucks big time as a BIM product, Autodesk doesn't care to improve Civil 3D into a BIM product and just markets it as BIM product.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 3 of 5

I agree with this, it is somewhat disappointing to see that structures have this display issue in profile view.
Message 4 of 5
dgordon
in reply to: deltacoolguy

I have read in other posts that copying a structure is not a good idea. something about the way autocad assigns the object identification, which can make autocad see two structures as the same structure.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 5 of 5

What gets me mad is that if you create Outside Drop Manhole that is part of the Civil 3d part builder tutorial Civil 3d is unable to display this part in profile correctly. You can display is a solid object, but not as a boundary. It would be nice is Autodesk would tell you this up front. I spent a few hours going thru this tutorial thinking this was a useful custom structure.

PG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report