Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating pipe network catalog

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
5989 Views, 7 Replies

Creating pipe network catalog

Could you please explain the creation of new pipe network catalog, such as creating pipes, structures, rules etc.

can I do it from AutoCAD Civil 3D itself or ?

Thanks

najeeb

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Avera737
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you be a little more specific about why you need to create a new pipe catalog?  Are you intrested in creating additional sizes of pipes?

Most customizations can be done within Civil 3D.  In the event you want to create structures or pipes that do not exist in the default templates you will need to use the Part Builder interface.  I'm sure you can find more information about Part Builder either here in this forum or somewhere else on the net.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Avera737

Thanks Avera.

I wanted to create one template (It is included the band styles, pipe network catalog etc), catalog shold macth with our municipality stanadads.

I opend some samples in catalog list (C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\C3D 2012\enu\Pipes Catalog) and I cannot save the part family as different name, showing error to save XML files.

Message 4 of 8
Avera737

Najeeb,

I don't believe you need to rename the pipe catalog to accomplished what you are trying to do.  The only reason you would need to edit the pipe catalog files is if you wanted to create new part families.  By default there are families for PVC, Concrete, CMP, and HDPE pipe.  You can create multiple sizes of each pipe from within Civil 3D by navigating to "Parts List" on the Settings tab of Toolspace.

It sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.  I would recommend purchasing a book (such as Mastering AutoCAD Civil 3D 20XX).  The settings within Civil 3D can be overwhelming at first but in time you'll get it.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Thanks for your opinion.

The category of pipes which is using this country is uPVC & GRP (storm water & sanitary sewer), also the manhole (Structure) shapes are different. I wanted to show as per the municipality standards.

I tried to create the new part family for uPVC pipes, but getting error on saving XML files.

Is it possible to modify the existing shapes from catalog / how can I create new shapes in structure catalog?

Message 6 of 8
Avera737

Well Najeeb I now see your issue.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is quickly getting beyond my level of expertise but I can give one point of advise:

Back up your part catalog.  Take the entire folder and copy it to My Documents or better yet a flash drive or CD.  Once you begin to play with the Part Catalog you will want to be able to go back to square one in the event something is corrupted.

You can start by opening up Civil 3D and running "partbuilder".  You should see a dialog box that allows you to select strutures or pipes.  You will have the option to create new "chapters" and "parametric parts".  I believe you will find that once created they appear in the directory you have been having issues writing to.

And that's about where my knowledge on this subject is exhausted... good luck!

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Thank you very much Avera !!

Message 8 of 8
andrewpuller3811

There is a good tutorial on John Evans blog here http://civil2inventor.wordpress.com/category/autodesk/autocad-civil-3d-2009/pipes/

Also there is the supplied tutorials in civil 3d help under "AutoCAD Civil 3D Tutorials" -> "Part Builder Tutorials"

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report