Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating assemblies

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ronpemberton7479
463 Views, 6 Replies

Creating assemblies

I am creating a simple road assembly, right and left lanes with basic side slope/cut ditch. the lanes attach fine but when I try to attach the side slope it keeps attaching to the bottom end of the lane instead of the top end of the lane. There are no marker points on the lane end to pick specifically so I am just picking at the top end corner of the lane. Is there a way to specify a top or bottom attachment point? I don't remember this being a problem the last time I created an assembly.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jeff_M
in reply to: ronpemberton7479

Check the Code Set Style being used. It sounds like your Markers are turned off or not set.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 7
ronpemberton7479
in reply to: Jeff_M

The code set style is "standard" which is the default style I think, but there is no way to edit that style. The pulldown next to the style where you usually edit it is grayed out. Same in the properties. A right click on the subassembly doesn't give me a style option.  I can get to the assembly marker style settings and change them but that only affects the initial central assembly marker. I can't find the sub-assembly marker settings.

In a previous job I did those markers do show up. It won't let me drag the assembly style from that old job to my new drawing. Is there a way to just use my assembly from the other job? There is no xml export option for assemblies. I tried to drag it in or just copy and paste it into the new drawing but that didn't work either.

Message 4 of 7
Jeff_M

@ronpemberton7479 wrote:

In a previous job I did those markers do show up. It won't let me drag the assembly style from that old job to my new drawing. Is there a way to just use my assembly from the other job? There is no xml export option for assemblies. I tried to drag it in or just copy and paste it into the new drawing but that didn't work either.

The Code Set used by the Subassembly is defined by the Assembly. If you are using a Standard style, then there likely isn't anything set. You need to be using a good Template with all of the settings saved. You can drag and drop the Code Set Style from your other drawing into this one. You can also copy-paste Assemblies, but they often end up all over the place in the new drawing. Selecting each subassembly, right-clicking, and choosing Clear Offset in Assembly will clear that up. You can also drag Assemblies to a Palette for future use. There are some Blog posts around that explain this, as well as the Help files. The quick description is, select just the assembly, then pick it below the insertion marker, hold it in place until you see a rectangular icon appear, now drag it onto a palette.

EESignature
Message 5 of 7
ronpemberton7479

Are you saying that the out of the box the default settings don't display the marker points to attach subassemblies to?

I tried to copy paste the old assembly into my drawing, reassembling it as you suggested but it apparently adopts the style of the new drawing which puts me back where I started.

I created a new tool pallete to transfer it but it won't let me drag it into the pallete. I get the "Not Allowed" symbol.

Can you tell me where the code set style is located? I don't see it in the settings tab.

Message 6 of 7
Jeff_M

Settings->DWGName->General->Multipurpose Styles->Code Set Styles

You will also need Marker, Link and Shape styles for use in the Code Set.

Looking back at previous posts from you, it looks like you are running C3D2008, correct? I don't recall if the drag to palette worked in 2008 or not....many things didn't work, or just plain weren't available, in 2008.

EESignature
Message 7 of 7
Jeff_M

Oops, meant to add that if you use one of the supplied NCS DWT's to start your drawings from, you should have more than the Standard styles available to you.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report