Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a topography 3d solid model

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
6683 Views, 8 Replies

Creating a topography 3d solid model

Hi.

I have a dwg with height guidelines, only a few lines with different heights.

From this I want to create a 3d solid model (box like) with the top surface showing the topography of the landscape I'm modelling.

I've tried creating some surfaces, one for the "bottom" (sea level) and then one for each height plane. Though I can't figure out how to get these in to a block with a smooth landscape surface.

Any help is much appreciated, maybe I'm doing it wrong to start with?

The final result is supposed to be one block showing how the landscape is today, one of how I wan't it to be. Between these I want to calculate the mass volume that has to be removed to make the landscape look like I want it to.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Edit: I'm using the Civil3D 2012

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

See - Convert a Civil 3D Tin Surface to AutoCAD Solid

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 9
neilyj666

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Tech-Preview-of-Corridor-Solids-for-AutoCAD-Civil-3D-...

Post 46 has a lsp to do this

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

The curved surface I've created is made by the Network surface command (3d modelling toolbar).

The TIN-> solid guide is very helpful, but how do I convert my gridsurface to TIN?

And thanks alot for the help!

Message 5 of 9
AllenJessup

We got a little off track. In the mind of most who participate in this group the word "surface" mean a TIN Surface created by using Civil 3D. I don't know a way to make a Civil 3D surface from an AutoCAD surface. You'll need the Civil 3D surface to calculate the volume.

If you explode the AutoCAD surface what entities do you get?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

I see, I'm new to 3d modelling/Civil 3d..

Actually I've tried several times to create TIN surfaces, since I figured these would be a better option than the grid ones I get in "3d modelling autocad". But there the problem is that I create a surface for each height level, and they become like a pile of pancakes.. With the 3d modelling surface I get the smooth landscape-like surface I want, but I'm probably just doing the TIN work wrong.

If I explode the grid surface I get nothing, it just disappears.

I'll attatch my startingpoint .dwg

The only progress I've made for now is a smooth landscape surface according to the height lines (blue) in the .dwg the black lines are the borders of my model (sea level)

Message 7 of 9
AllenJessup

OK. So you have Polylines at Elevation. That's easy: Right click on Contours in your surface collection in prospector. Select ADD. Select the Contours.

c1.PNG

c2.PNG

I'd suggest you do the Tutorials on creating surfaces. BTW: It's best to warn people when you post a drawing created in an educational version. It can have consequences if handled wrong.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Thank you. I've tried working with the contours, and I'll give it some more time tomorrow!

Sorry for the educational, but this is a school project so I don't have access to the normal version.

Message 9 of 9
AllenJessup

That's fine. I opened it as a stand alone drawing. But if I'd inserted it into an active drawing it would have "infected" it with the educational plot stamp even though I have a commercial seat.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report