Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a tin surface from USGS map

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
csparber
1022 Views, 1 Reply

Creating a tin surface from USGS map

Hello All--

I am new to GIS and AutoCAD civil 3d.  I have a project that I need to map the terrain as a tin solid so that I can do some cut and fill analysis.  I have downloaded a orthographic and elevation data from the USGS website.  I cannot get AutoCAD civil 3d to create the contours properly.  Does anyone have any ideas? 

My current workflow is: use mapwspace to bring up the task pane.  Connect to the geotiff image in the 1-153383539 folder.  Then I try to create the contours and the option is greyed out.  

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Chris Sparber

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
AllenJessup
in reply to: csparber

A quick look through your files and I didn't see any surface data. An OrthoTiff might contain surface data but I don't believe yours does. If you want to convert directly from GIS Data you need a file From ArcSDE, Oracle or a Shape file. See the AeccCreateSurfaceFromGISData command.

Your best bet is to see if you can download a DEM file. That would be a DEM, ESRI Arc Grid or a GeoTIFF with surface data. See: Creating a Grid Surface from a DEM

If you want to create a Civil 3D surface you need to use Civil 3D commands. Not Map 3D commands.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report