Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a pond with "square" corners

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
ed
Contributor
2563 Views, 20 Replies

Creating a pond with "square" corners

I am designing a retention pond in an existing surface.  I set the base of the pond and execute the grading at the desired slope and it generates the pond just fine, with the exception of rounded corners.  I need the corners to be square, mitered corners instead of the round.  Is that possible?  And how?

I'm using Civil 3D 2013.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
BrianHailey
in reply to: ed

Use featurelines instead of the projection grading. Take the bottom featureline and use the Stepped Offset command to create the top, then offset that to create the next piece and then, if needed, use the projection grading to tie it into the existing ground.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 21
ed
Contributor
in reply to: BrianHailey

Thanks.

So, what you're saying is that I do the stepped offset until I get close to the surface, then let use the projection grading on that last contour to tie into the existing grade.

I'm thinking I will still have a rounded corner, but not as extreme.  Is that right?

Message 4 of 21
Neilw_05

Gradings alone cannot create mitered corners. As was suggested, you can use stepped offsets to create mitered corners for the interior parts of the pond. Then use a grading to establish the daylight footprint and add featurelines and infills to to create the mitered corners. Of course the mitered corners will not be dynamic to edits to the grading and would potentially make your grading prone to corruption or crashing when editing, so you'd want to use some technique to keep the featurelines from interacting with the gradings during edits.

Due to this limitation of gradings most of your model will not be dynamic. Some have used corridors as a workaround but corridors have probems with mitered corners as well.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 21
907Trekker

This is a long process but it might do what you want:

1. Offset the feature line at the desired grade to an elevation that is beyond (above) the ground target.

2. Make a temp surface and add these lines to it, make sure the triangles are correct at the corners.

3. Make a volume surface with the ground and your temp surface.

4. In the volume surface, make a user defined contour with elevation of 0.00'

5. Extract that contour (extract objects -> user defined contours)

6. Make the pond surface with your original pond bottom line and the user defined contour you just extracted.

Shape of corners will depend on the shape of the ground target. 

-Mark

Message 6 of 21
neilyj666
in reply to: 907Trekker

@907Trekker wrote:

This is a long process but it might do what you want:

1. Offset the feature line at the desired grade to an elevation that is beyond (above) the ground target.

2. Make a temp surface and add these lines to it, make sure the triangles are correct at the corners.

3. Make a volume surface with the ground and your temp surface.

4. In the volume surface, make a user defined contour with elevation of 0.00'

5. Extract that contour (extract objects -> user defined contours)

6. Make the pond surface with your original pond bottom line and the user defined contour you just extracted.

Shape of corners will depend on the shape of the ground target. 

-Mark

Yes, this method will work but you will need to convert the 0.00' contour to a featureline with levels taken from the original ground.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 21
ed
Contributor

Forgive my ignorance, but I can't see that you can "add" feature lines to a surface like you say in step 2.  Any help on this?

Message 8 of 21
neilyj666

Use the Proposed base (Featureline1), and then offset and raise elevation as directed (Featureline2). Add Feature 1 & 2 to temp surface ,then proceed as directed. You may need to swap TIN lines or connect corners (top to bottm) with featurelines (and add these to surface)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 21
ed
Contributor
in reply to: neilyj666

Yes, I've done the offsets to the proper elevations.  I also have the temp surface created.

I just don't see the steps for adding the feature lines to a surface.

Message 10 of 21
neilyj666

Select the two featurelines and then there's an option in the contextual ribbon to add to surface as breakline

EESignature

Message 11 of 21
wfberry

OR:

Toolspace --> Prospector --> Surfaces --> (surface?) --> Definition --> Breaklines (you can add FLs here)

Bill

Message 12 of 21
907Trekker

Yes, forgot that step.  The pond would have been a pyramid instead.  Thanks.

Message 13 of 21
ed
Contributor

Thank you!

I don't exactly understand some of the steps (mostly the 0 elevation contour) but it worked!

Message 14 of 21
glacoste

Hi Ed,

you should take a look at the video's in the Autodesk University web site, there's one called "Islands in the Asphalt: Parking Lot Grading for Commercial Site Projects" its not a pond design but very useful for learning how to use featurelines and grading.

Gerry

Message 15 of 21
907Trekker

Basically you are using the feature lines to create a surface that is the correct shape and then trimming it with the original ground surface. 

In a volume surface the contours represent how high one surface is above the other, at elevation 0 they intersect or are at the same elevation.  That is where your pond daylighted to the original ground, at least in the x,y plane.  You modified the elevation to match your original ground in the step that I forgot to include in my original post.

Message 16 of 21
ed
Contributor

Thanks for the help on this.  I know I did this last week, but it was right before vacation and well, you know...

Anyway, I need help with step 4. Making a user defined contour with elevation of 0.00'

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 17 of 21
ed
Contributor

OK - it looks like I'm going to need help with this again.

In the attached drawing file I've got two surfaces:

"Surface 1" is the existing ground surface.

"Pond Final A" is a retention pond that I designed starting with the bottom elevation of 7240 and working my way up at a 3:1 slope past the existing surface.

Now I need to "trim" the pond at the existing surface and cannot seem to figure out how to do this.

I would appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks so much!

Message 18 of 21
ed
Contributor

---sigh---

You can ignore those last two posts.  I didn't have the pond extended high enough for the "0" contour to be made.  Sorry to have bothered you and thanks again.

Message 19 of 21
Joe-Bouza

What kind of equipment in the field can actually grade mitered corners?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 20 of 21
wfberry
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe:

You missed the lecture on the pyramids.  They chiseled them out, then flipped them over.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report