Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a point table with screen picked points? Is it possible?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ghunt1981
3058 Views, 6 Replies

Creating a point table with screen picked points? Is it possible?

I'm working with both Carlson 2012 and Civil 3d 2012 so this could apply to either one.

I have a set of caissons that were shot on separate days, and they started in the middle when they shot them in. I wanted to create a coordinate table, with the points listed from the northernmost point to the southernmost point. I had thought there might be a way to create a table with dynamic input, where I could pick the points as I go along and have the information entered as I pick. Does such a thing exist?

If not, is there any way to renumber the points via drawing a polyline connecting them, starting with the one I want as #1 and ending with the last one?

Just trying to figure out a solution here to clean these up a little...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CADvisers
in reply to: ghunt1981

1. You could export your points to a csv file.
  2. Open the csv up in Excel. 
  3. Do a data sort based on the highest Nothing value in the Northing or "y" column.
  4. Edit the point number column to 1 through whatever.
  5. Save as csv
  6. Then re-import points to the drawing.
  7. They should be numbered in order from North to South.
Jonathan Stewart
CADvisers
P.O. Box 7811
Lancaster, PA 17604
Ph. 717-468-3111

Message 3 of 7
gjrcmb

Check out the following post in regard to the lisp program posted and the discussion:

Renumbering Points
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Renumbering-Points/td-p/3296329

As mentioned you have to pick points one at a time, and only pick a start number that is higher than the highest number in the drawing.  But the you could use the SELECTANDEDITPOINTNUMBERS (or Renumbering) command to then adjust the numbers to what you want (as you can also use a use a negative number to adjust the point numbers).

This may or may not help in regard to building a point table.

Message 4 of 7
BrianHailey

Addd the points to a table in any manner that you like. Edit the point table style and have it sort data based on the northing value instead of the point number.

http://screencast.com/t/LT3nrBhq6YeK

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 7
gjrcmb

As follow up to my previous posting on this topic, please reference the previously mentioned posting in regard to my post today on that  discussion:

Renumbering Points
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D/Renumbering-Points/td-p/3296329/page/2

I modified the reorderpoints.lsp application posted originally by Jeff_M to include a fence selection option which partly addresses ghunt1981 question "is there any way to renumber the points via drawing a polyline connecting them".

While I agree with CADvisers posting within this discussion, it is also nice to have options and a graphical alternative if that makes more sense for a given situation.  I also appreciate Brian's comment as it is nice to know about the sorting feature in Table Styles.

Message 6 of 7
ccoles

What I've done in the past was to create a points group for just the points you want in the list, and under the 'Include' tab, screen pick the points to add to the group. If you need to renumber these points, do so before you pick them for the points group because the new number will not update in the 'Include' tab.

Once you have the points group, you can use it to define the points to list in a table.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
Message 7 of 7
ghunt1981

I was on vacation last week so I'm only just now seeing these replies...

Anyway...since the points had been imported with their original numbers, and I had already gone through and numbered them how I wanted them to be numbered, what I ended up doing was just going through the text file with the points in it and copying the information into an excel file that I created. It actually didn't take all that long to do, and then I datalinked the spreadsheet to the drawing to create a table, and spaced out the northing and easting coordinates enough to actually draw a line between them in the table in the drawing to make them look like separate columns (easiest way to do it).

So, I had to take a different route but it wasn't as difficult as I was afraid it might be. Only took me maybe 15-20 minutes to copy and paste all the point information into the spreadsheet.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report