Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Top Surface

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ashleystrand
375 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a Top Surface

If I change a point or link code in one of my subassemblies, is there a way I can build my top surface using those?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Nik-D
in reply to: ashleystrand

Yes, just add the link codes you want to the corridor surface when you create it

Message 3 of 11
ashleystrand
in reply to: Nik-D

Where can you add them?  Is it when you create your surface?  They don't show up in my choices for feature lines or links.  Do I somehow need to import them?

Message 4 of 11
Nik-D

what subassemblies are you using?

Can you copy the subassemblies into a new raing and post them here so i can look at what you mean?

Message 5 of 11
ashleystrand

I am using the LinkWidthandSlope subassmebly. In the properties of each link I change the "Link Code".  But then when I try to create my surface, the new link code I assigned is not there.

Message 6 of 11
Nik-D

in your code set that you are using you need toimport the new codes that you have defined.

code set import codes.PNG

click on the import codes and select the subassemblies that you have altered. It should then add the new modified codes to the code set. Remember to use the correct code set to construct your corridor then the correct links should be there to build your surface

HTH

Message 7 of 11
ashleystrand

That worked!  Thank you!  

Message 8 of 11
Nik-D

no problem, just mark this thread as solved

Message 9 of 11
BrianHailey

@Nik-D wrote:

in your code set that you are using you need toimport the new codes that you have defined.

This doesn't have anything to do with this issue. I think the problem is the corridor wasn't rebuilt. Rebuild the corridor after you edit the subassemblies and you should see the new codes as an option in the surface.

If you want to display or label them uniquely, then you'll need to add them to the code set style.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 11
Nik-D
in reply to: BrianHailey

After some testing I have to admit that Brian is quite right. It seems I have been doing this a long winded way for a long time. In the past I would edit the subassembly from the edit subassembly dialogue box, go to my code sets, import code sets and that would work. What I never noticed till now was that when you edit your code sets it forces a rebuild of the corridor. The vid that Brian posted there is a much better way of doing things and is how I intend to do things from now.

Nice one Brian

Message 11 of 11
Hammer.john.j

Yeah, you only need the codes if you need them to annotate or represent something otherwise rebuilding is enough.
John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report