Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Surface from Points

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
hrigsby
955 Views, 15 Replies

Creating a Surface from Points

Good day:

So I have a grid survey of points and I've entered these points into Civil 3D.  Now what I want to do is use these points to create a surface so that I can create a slope analysis of the surveyed area.  My problem is that I can't get the points into a point group.  

I have a generic grid (15 x 15) of points set up and I've only used a portion of them (defined by the dimensions of the site).  So I want to create a surface that includes all of the points that aren't set at an elevation of 0.  

I'll attach the file so ya'll can see what I'm working with.  

Thanks in advance for the help.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: hrigsby

You have AutoCad Points in the file only cogo points are useable in a point group.

Three methods:

1. use Dataextraction to create an xyz file of the information then create a surface and attach to definition as point file.

2. Same as above but import as cogo points or just convert to cogo points

3. Just add to the surface under definition > Drawing objects > points.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 3 of 16
hrigsby
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Awesome.  So now I have my points into a surface, and I'm trying to run the analysis on it.  The percentages and areas show up fine in the table, but I can't seem to get the colors to show up on the surface.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?  I used the "Drawing Objects" method to add the points to the surface if that makes a difference.

Thanks again, I'll attach the updated file.  

Message 4 of 16
troma

Did you set the surface to ignore data at 0 elevation?
Do you have "Slopes" turned on in the surface style?
Did you do a slope analysis in the surface properties?

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 16
hrigsby
in reply to: troma

I isolated the points that had an elevation when I created the surface.  The surface style is set to "1M and 5M (Design)" I have a "Slope Banding (2D)" option but not a "Slopes" Option.  

And yes I ran an analysis and added a legend.  The legend has data in it and looks fairly accurate but the colors aren't showing up on the actual surface.  Is this a surface style problem?

Message 6 of 16
MikeEvansUK

Edit the surface style, on the display tab, turn on the little lightbulb next to the slopes section.

You need to read up on styles they are the only way to "play music" with this app.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Message 7 of 16
hrigsby
in reply to: MikeEvansUK

Now we're getting somewhere!  Thanks everyone!

One last thing.  Is there a way to make the surface "triangles" smaller?  My grid is on a 3m x 3m array, but I'm only getting 2 triangles per square (divided from top left to bottom right).  Is there a way to keep this but also get a division from bottom left to top right so that each square of my grid has 4 triangles within it?

I was assuming Breaklines were my method here, but I can't snap to the points in my surface so the breakline is sitting at an elevation of 0 and creating holes in my surface basically.  

Message 8 of 16
AllenJessup

You can Smooth the Surface [AeccSmoothSurface].

ss.png

This will add points to the Surface and create smoother contours. But it doesn't increase the accuracy at all. Only adding more data will do that.

Allen Jessup

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 16
AllenJessup

What are you using to create the breaklines. 3D Polylines or Featurelines. You should be able to snap to the endpoints of the triangles or have the Featureline take the elevation form the surface. However I don't think this will do what you're looking for. Are you looking for smoother contours or a dencified surface?

You can also insert point manually at the centerpoints of your girds. But, again, the only source of an elevation for those points is the existing surface.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 16
hrigsby
in reply to: AllenJessup

I guess densify the surface would be a better term for it.  I want to double the number of triangles that are present on the surface, essentially connecting all of the points that I used to make it to it's adjacent points.  I'll attach a screen capture that shows what I want it to do (in the red, uneven lines).

Message 11 of 16
AllenJessup

You can draw those lines as featurelines and Assign Elevation. Chose your existing Surface. If you've already drawn them. You can select From Surface in the Elevation editor.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 12 of 16
troma

If you add a data point in the middle of your square it will triangulate from there to all the corners. But what elevation do you give that point? Are you just going to interpolate from the surface? Then it isn't going to change a thing; you're adding surface data back into the surface.
Unless you add data, the surface will either triangulate one diagonal or the other across your squares. That's why it's called triangulation: it makes triangles.  And it only uses the existing data to do it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 13 of 16
hrigsby
in reply to: AllenJessup

I created those lines and added them to the surface as breaklines and it works to an extent.  It breaks my triangles in the opposite direction than I intended, but it does divide them in half.  So I'm getting closer I guess. 

Message 14 of 16
neilyj666

perhaps you should increase the density of the survey grid?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 15 of 16
AllenJessup

You could Swap the faces on the triangles if it's important enough to take the time.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 16 of 16
neilyj666

...if you have just surveyed a 15 x 15 grid then you will results as shown. The survey needs to be done to pick up the actual ground conditions where the changes in slope occur and a regular grid can be output from this if desired.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report