Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Cross Section Views (Sheets). Set margin inside the viewport?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
doni49
3957 Views, 10 Replies

Creating Cross Section Views (Sheets). Set margin inside the viewport?

When creating cross section views ("Home>Section Views>Create Multiple Views"), my sections are being placed at the exact boundary of the viewport (viewport is per my template).

Surely there's a way to create a margin inside the viewport.

Here's a screen shot of what I'm seeing.  Notice how the dotted "Plot Area Boundary line is going right thru the left axis labels and on top of the bottom axis blue line (which means the bottom axis labels will NOT be seen).

I've been searching for an answer for the past hour.

CrossSectionView.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Jeff_M
in reply to: doni49

Create a 'white space' band and include that in your section views.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 11
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

Thanks.  I've been looking in the section view properties and everywhere else I could think of for some kind of "margin" setting.  I'll get to work on that right now.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 11
doni49

I've been trying to make that work.  Every band I try to place is huge.

By "whitespace band", I'm imagining that you mean the band will not contain any data.  All the bands I've tried placing contain data.  I'd like to force it to just a specified amount of whitespace below the bottom row and to the left of the first column of sections (about an inch or so would be fine).

Until such time as I can figure this out, I think my best bet is to make the viewport the normal size.  Then in the model view, move all the cross sections by the same distance up and to the left.  That should force them to show up on the sheet properly.  At least I'll be able to get them plotted tonight.

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 11
Jeff_M

To create a 1" white space band, define the band as being 1" in height, no offset. For a 1" offset to the right, give the text box width a value of 1". Then on the Display tab turn off the visibiity of all the items. Your white space band will now use the border as the bounds of the band, even though it's turned off.

3-12-2013 2-31-09 PM.png

3-12-2013 2-31-38 PM.png

3-12-2013 2-32-23 PM.png

EESignature
Message 6 of 11
doni49

Jeff,

I greatly appreciate your assistance so far.  But it's still not working right.  In an effort to troubleshoot, I turned the band boxes and the band label boxes on.  The first image shows how my sections look using the bands vs not using the bands.

When I do use the bands, they're placed REALLY high on the sheet, when I don't use the bands, they're placed at the viewport limits.

The second image is just the same sections (with the whitespace bands) but zoomed in closer.

I put a band across the top because in one of my tests, the station label (at the top of the section was cut off by the viewport.

WhitespaceBands.png

WhitespaceBands2.png

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 11
Jeff_M

Play with the spacing used between adjacent sectionviews in the Group Plot Style. They are moving up high to be centered on the sheet, but now there are only 3 SV's in place of the 4 you had before. This tells me ytour spacing is now too big.

EESignature
Message 8 of 11
doni49

That makes sense.  I hadn't even considered the possibility that it was trying to center them on the page vertically.

Don Ireland

Message 9 of 11
doni49

I just finished watching a video (from AU 2012) and the speaker had an interesting way of dealing with this issue that does not involve data bands.  Seems like it might actually work well/easily.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=9142

Around minute 34 or so.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 11
ingegneria

The video seems to not be longer available. What did it suggest?
Message 11 of 11
doni49
in reply to: ingegneria

I jsut recieved word from my autodesk contact that the video has been located and is available at the following location.

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2011/autocad-civil-3d/wholly-sheets...

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report