Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created in newer version...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
mnorton
570 Views, 7 Replies

Created in newer version...

I have two client drawings - an xref and a host - that were created in C3D R12.  I exported the base drawing to a previous release and am able to open it in R11 as normal. 

I exported the host drawing but receive the "created in newer version" error message when I open it in R11 and of course my C3D commands are disabled. 

SAVEAS produced the same result.  DEMANDLOAD is set to 3.  In other words, I've read the techdoc.

Any ideas?

Mike Norton - The Civil Guy
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mathewkol
in reply to: mnorton

If they saved any of their drawings using Civil 3D 2012, you will never be able  to open it in 2011 and perform Civil 3D commands.  The only way for you to be able to do this is to run the

-EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command (don't forget the hyphen).  This has its own set of problems, however which may or may not affect you.  If they have any C3D objects (alignments, surfaces etc) they will be exploded.,

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 8
Sinc

One of the "great joys" of C3D is that we basically have incompatible releases of the software every year.  Most things will go forward, but not all, so even forward-compatibility is touch-and-go.  Things like Label Styles may not work as they did in older releases, or they may break completely, giving you GUIDs instead of the text you expect.  Custom Toolbox reports and custom Subassemblies may similarly be broken.  Backward-compatibility is pretty much nonexistent.  You can sometimes export some things to LandXML, and import them in the older version of C3D, but this leaves out so many things that it may not be viable.

The annual incompatlble releases are the bane of all C3D users.

Sinc
Message 4 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

One of the "great joys" of C3D is that we basically have incompatible releases of the software every year.  Most things will go forward, but not all, so even forward-compatibility is touch-and-go.  Things like Label Styles may not work as they did in older releases, or they may break completely, giving you GUIDs instead of the text you expect.  Custom Toolbox reports and custom Subassemblies may similarly be broken.  Backward-compatibility is pretty much nonexistent.  You can sometimes export some things to LandXML, and import them in the older version of C3D, but this leaves out so many things that it may not be viable.

The annual incompatlble releases are the bane of all C3D users.

Totally agree with this

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
mnorton
in reply to: mathewkol

Matt,

As previously stated, I exported my base drawing to a previous release of AutoCAD and was able to successfully open it in R11 with full access to C3D functions.  It wasn't successful on the host drawing.  My project data is safe.  I exported it to XML.

Happy Saturday, Sync.  I read all of your post this time.  I see you're still singing the same tune but thankfully in fewer verses.  I think we're making progress!

Message 6 of 8
Sinc

Didn't understand that post at all...

Sinc
Message 7 of 8
mnorton
in reply to: Sinc

Sinc,

It was a vague reference to an old thread intended primarily for my own amusement.  You're a smart guy (a guru!!!) and I know I shouldn't make fun of you but it's so hard not to when you start whining about the program AGAIN.  I have a project drawing that for whatever reason has not responded to repeated attempts to dummy it down to a previous release.  I was just hoping you or somebody else might have a creative solution. 

Message 8 of 8
Sinc

Glad you're amused.  I'm not.  There are NO other programs I use that have anywhere near this many bugs, or require such a vast number of workarounds.  I've been training a number of people in how to use Civil 3D, and am amazed at how often I have to stop and explain YET ANOTHER reason why things aren't going as-expected, and explain the details of YET ANOTHER bug, and how to workaround it.  It creates for a very unfrienedly user experience, and really complicates training.

I can do it, and I use C3D very effectively myself.  But it's very frustrating, for all involved, especially for new users of Civil 3D.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report