Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create two point styles for one point

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
nalexiades
430 Views, 11 Replies

Create two point styles for one point

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get point 1234 to show a label that says Point #1234 and then in a grading plan have that same point show up as a spot elevation.  I have tried making two point groups "Point #" and "Spot Grades" which include the same points in them with two different label styles for each group, however the point seems to only want to take one label style at a time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

C3D 2012
Win 7 x64
8 GB Ram
Quadro K4000
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
KirkNoonan
in reply to: nalexiades

The point styles by viewport has been on the wish list for several versions now. One way I've found is to export your points, generate one of the styles that you want, explode the points to get the label separated from the point object. Then re-import the points and label with the other style. It is an ugly workaround. Another method is to use two different colors for the label text and use different ctb that don't plot the color of the 'off' label for  the different sheets. Also less than perfect. Maybe someone has a better idea.

Message 3 of 12
troma
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Another one for the wishlist item: allow components of a label to be on different layers.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 12
AllenJessup

You could also import the points to a new drawing and assign the Spot Elevation style in that drawing. Then xref that in as only thaw the Xref layer in the viewport that needs the spot grades. This only works if your Point # Label Style is on a layer that you can freeze in the viewport.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
KirkNoonan
in reply to: troma

You mean like it used to be in LDD?

Message 6 of 12
troma
in reply to: KirkNoonan

In a manner of speaking, yes. But no.

I wouldn't want to go back to labels being dumb text. I like dynamic links. But I'd still like to be able to separate out the components of a label by layer, so you could vp freeze to set up different views of the same thing.
I'm not just talking about cogo points either. Alignment labels, Profile View labels, Surface labels, etc.; all could benefit.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 12
dgordon

since all you need for the second style is the elevation, just make a new point at the same location and apply the style needed. label the name of it 1234 so you know it's supposed to be the same point. Surveyors do this all the time when they re-shoot control points. original point #1 new point #3456 with point description cp#1.
Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 8 of 12
nalexiades
in reply to: dgordon

So it seems that I am not alone in this issue, hopefully Autodesk will realize this is a problem.  I think were going to import the points into another drawing and assign the spot elevation style that way they stay dynamic.  Thank you all for your help! I wouldve spent hours playing with the label styles!

C3D 2012
Win 7 x64
8 GB Ram
Quadro K4000
Message 9 of 12
Neilw_05

Why not just label the location with a spot elevation label?
Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 10 of 12
nalexiades
in reply to: Neilw_05

Because in this specific instance there is no surface, just points.  And a point will only take one label at a time.

C3D 2012
Win 7 x64
8 GB Ram
Quadro K4000
Message 11 of 12
Neilw_05

You could build a surface from the points in minutes and set it to no display. I do understand the advantage of mass labeling the points though.

Can we not use the survey database to display points with different styles on a per dwg basis?
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: Neilw_05

Seeing that no one has suggested this, here is what I propose as a workaround:

1. Store the points in a survey database.
2. Create Drawing A and insert the survey points using style A
3. Create Drawing B and insert the survey points using style B
4. XREF drawings A & B into your plans.

Any edits to the point database can be propogated to the drawings.

I know this is not an ideal workflow but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an enhancement to come anytime soon.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report