Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create proposed profile from surface profile

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
TonyLeggieri3279
12855 Views, 32 Replies

Create proposed profile from surface profile

We have an engineer who is taking an existing surface and wants to show a proposed road 2" higher than existing.

I told him to simply adjust his assembly for his corridor to account for the 2" difference, but the County agency needs to see a profile.

My questions:

1) Is there a way to easily copy a profile made from a surface and "convert" it to a proposed profile?  If we copy and explode, it turns into hundreds (thousands?) of tiny pline segments and it would be a mess to convert all those to a profile 1 by 1.  If we make the corridor, and choose "profile from corridor", we do not have an option that could be used to represent the centerline. 

2) Other than loss of dynamic updating), would it make sense to adjust the assembly so the top surface would be accurate, then copy the profile, explode the copy to a block and simply shift that (as essentially basic linework)?

Any help/opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Tony

Tony Leggieri
Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A. (GLW)
CADD Manager
Civil 3D 2023.2.1
Windows 10
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
jbeisick
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I think this may be the solution to my issue. Another drafter has created surface profiles and now we want the road grades to change but cant edit anything. Can you explain these steps in a bit more detail taking into account my surface profiles are already created?

Here is a link to my query I posted and the couple replies I did get: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/editing-profiles-pi-s-amp-vpi-s/m-p/6431868#M...

Thanks

Jason

Message 22 of 33
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jbeisick

Hi Jason

What part is unclear to you?

To convert a surface profile into a layout profile do the following:

1. create your surface profile and view (call it eg temp) and make it static

2. create a layout profile say (fg(x))

3. draw an arbitraryl line (doesn't matter how long or where), exit the profile layout tool

4. edit eg temp geometry and press copy

5. select overwrite existing profile and select fg(x) from the pop down

6. go back to eg temp and make it dynami again is needed

in some cases it my be prudent to simply draw a new layout profile and in your other post it sounds like this is what you have done. The only step after that is to go into the corridor parameters and change the profile assigned the the baseline in question.

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 33
jbeisick

Alright, Corridors are set up but they have no surfaces or baselines...(see attached)

Thanks,

Jason

Message 24 of 33
jbeisick

Also, do I want to delete the surface profiles now that I have created profiles from layout?

Message 25 of 33
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: jbeisick

Show me The parameter tab. Even still the lack of corridor surface points to feature line grading... can you post the drawing? Without looking in it I'mm only guessing

Your Name
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 26 of 33
CNinBC
in reply to: TonyLeggieri3279

is there a way to convert a superimposed surface profile to a layout profile? Thanks.

Message 27 of 33

Probably not . Have you tried making it static and copy to layout as I describe for the surface profile

Your Name

EESignature

Message 28 of 33
ericcollins6932
in reply to: CNinBC

One normally traces the surface profile as design profiles are usually "cleaner" than EG.
Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 29 of 33
CNinBC

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Probably not . Have you tried making it static and copy to layout as I describe for the surface profile

yes, i did, the superimposed profile keeps as "dynamic" even after the original surface profile has been set to static.

Message 30 of 33
CNinBC
in reply to: ericcollins6932

@ericcollins6932 wrote:
One normally traces the surface profile as design profiles are usually "cleaner" than EG.

understood, i am using the superimposed profile as my corridor target profile for the lanes and the gutter lines, in some local area, i have to do some adjustment to smooth out my design, i wish i can use the superimposed profile as my start point, for those area i don't need to adjust, i will just leave the profile as is.

Message 31 of 33
CNinBC
in reply to: TonyLeggieri3279

the only way to convert superimposed profile to layout profile is to explode the the superimposed profile to CAD entities (lines), and then re-define a layout profile using the CAD entities. I tested this method this morning, it worked.

Message 32 of 33
slaxsomayl

Brutal. Excellent Solution! It works Great!

Message 33 of 33
kwquirita

Great advice Master, congratulations

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report