Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create points by Measure Object not numbering correctly

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
stoc951
497 Views, 26 Replies

Create points by Measure Object not numbering correctly

My co-worker and I are both running Civil 3d 2013.  I was creating some points along a line using both the manual and the measure object methods.  When I create the points they increment correctly.  For example, I'll manually create points 1000-1003 then switch to measure object to create points 1004-1010.  Going back and forth between the two methods works as I expect.

I gave the drawing to my co-worker to complete the task.  He is able to create points 1011-1015 manually but when he switches to measure object, his point numbers reset to 1-10.  When switching back to manual, his next point number would be 1016.

The point numbers increment correctly between different point creation methods on my PC but do not on his.  The settings under Create Points are the same on both PCs.

Is there a setting buried somewhere that I'm not finding?  Does anyone have any suggestions to help resolve this?

Thank you.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27
doni49
in reply to: stoc951

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post the dwg file for us to examine?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 27
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: doni49

Has any solution been found for this issue yet? I have the same issue with measure object and the point creation NO using the correct point number. The routine goes back to the lowest point available to use from 1 on up.

Message 4 of 27
doni49
in reply to: BtimmermanMMS

I'll ask you the same thing I asked the OP.

can you provide a sample dwg for us to troubleshoot with?
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 27
BtimmermanMMS

Here is the drawing i was working on and trying to get the measure object to create points every 50' along the line - 4' OS from the back of walk.

The program kept wanting to go back and use any available points - at the bottom of the spectrum available.

I had just finished doing the sidewalk at the east side of lot 6 in the NEcorner of site. It should show as being shaded grey. But,if you simply draw a line/polyline in the drawing and try and get the measure object to create points every 50' with no offset and no elevation...see what you get.

My system is current with SP and it is a Win 7 64bit with all updates and SP intsalled.

Thanks

Message 6 of 27
Jay_B

@BtimmermanMMS wrote:
The routine goes back to the lowest point available to use from 1 on up.
Can you please be more specific on what it is you're trying to accomplish?
If I use the Create Points > Measure object on 2 identical polylines, the first one starts at #1 and ends at #211.
Run it again and it starts at #212 and ends at # 412.
If I did a 3rd one it's going to use the "next available point number" which is #413.
Maybe I don't want it to start at #413 but would like it to begin with #1000, as long as 1000 is input into the
@point Identity > Use Next Point # field, then it starts @ #1000.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 27
doni49

What version of C3D?
--

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 27
BtimmermanMMS
in reply to: Jay_B

Yep, I realize what the program SHOULD do, but it is NOT doing as advertised.

My settings are set for the creation of points to start at 2000, but for reason unbeknownst (is that a word?) to me - it goes back to 1st available.

It almost is like the SP1 from previous version issues is effecting this creation of points. Either way - my drawing is NOT working as advertised; nor as i'd expect it to after 15+ years of working with said software. OK - C3D is new, but you get the jist...i'm not a rookie here.

thanks

Message 9 of 27
BtimmermanMMS

Civil 3D 2013

Message 10 of 27
doni49

I don't have access to 2013 but I did open your file in 2014 and was not able to reproduce the problem.

I placed a new polyline, told C3D that the next point number is 100 and then used meaure object to create points.  It started at 100.  Then I did it again and it correctly picked up right where it left off.

I've attached the file with these test points included.

Don Ireland

Message 11 of 27
Jeff_M

I just tested your drawing in C3D 2013. The Next Point Number was set to 1, so I reset it to 2000. All points added with the Measure object were set from 2000+, as expected.

Are you setting the Next Point Number in the PointsCreation Dialog or in the Points Feature Settings? If the former, those settings are only used while that dialog is open, once closed they revert back to what is set in the Feature Settings.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 12 of 27
Jay_B

In your file using 2013 SP1, the Next available point # was set to 2000 and the points were placed accordingly.

I drew a polyline off to the side, (please see attached).

Also set the Points creation parameters > Prompt for yada yada all to "automatic"

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 13 of 27
doni49
in reply to: Jeff_M

I'll assume that Jeff has identified your problem (changing the next point number at the wrong location).

These images show you the dialog box he's saying that SHOULD be used.

PtNumSetting.png

PtNumSetting2.png

Don Ireland

Message 14 of 27
BtimmermanMMS

OK - thought we had something there. But, got bac into the drawing and double checked my settings. I too am using the commands-->Create Points and using 2000 as my point number to use (start at). Then I thought...Ohhh wait...i sent you the B.dwg and not our I.dwg and thought maybe that was it. Our I.dwg is where we set points (our survey file for staking) and our B.dwg is our design base for engineers use and we Xref in the B.dwg to the I.dwg. Thought maybe it was something there, but went into the B.dwg and set all my point settings correctly (commands-->Create Points-->2000) and the program still set it with #1 as the first one on the polyline i drew. So, at this point...You folks get the correct "As advertised" result, and we are getting something different...How/What/Why? Now I really begin to scratch my head...Hmmm

Message 15 of 27
doni49

Are you on subscription? I think I'd open a ticket.
--

Don Ireland

Message 16 of 27
BtimmermanMMS

Yes, we are. And I think that is my next step since you folks are getting a different result than I.

Thank you folks for any/all input.

Have a good one!

Message 17 of 27
Jeff_M

Verify your version of C3D? The readme for SP1 says this:

• The next point number is now assigned correctly when creating points from objects.

Which leads me to think that possibly the service pack has not been applied.

EESignature
Message 18 of 27
Jay_B

This related thread indicates this was a problem early on in 2013.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 19 of 27

Yes, I read that thread too.

But, my system says it is up-to-date. Not sure why things aren't working -
just know that they should but are not.

Will open ticket with the Big A folks.

Thanks

MMS email logo-96dpi

Bryan Timmerman

I.T. Administrator

Office: (319) 351-8282

B.timmerman@mmsconsultants.net

www.mmsconsultants.net

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies
of the original message.
Message 20 of 27
Jeff_M

@BtimmermanMMS wrote:

But, my system says it is up-to-date.

What does your About dialog display?

7-29-2014 11-53-46 AM.png

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report