Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Marker Label that displays the point name

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
borchj
1432 Views, 4 Replies

Create a Marker Label that displays the point name

Essentially, what I am looking for is the easiest way to label control lines and right-of-way lines in section view. In the past, I have used profile grade lines to do this - with a customized Marker Style for each alignment. On projects with 40+ alignments, this leads to a lot of blocks and marker styles to wade through. What I'd like to know - Is there a way to display a point name (read from a MarkedPoint) in section view using marker labels? Here's how I see it working (theoretically):

Define the following two point codes for use in my Code Set Styles: ALGN and ROW. Each would be assigned a Marker Label Style (let's call them A & R) in the Code Set. I'd like this label to display the point name in section view. For example, I'd like to insert a marked point on the centre line; Point Code = ALGN, Point Name = L100. However it doesn't seem that the Marker Label can read the "Point Name" field. Am I missing something really simple, or is this just not doable? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ericcollins6932
in reply to: borchj

Sure, I do this all the time. Copy the Description only style and rename it to Name Only and edit the style. The line controlling what is displayed has an ellipsis on it when highlighted. Click the ellipsis, and change the dropdown from showing description field to name field instead and update the field.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 3 of 5
KirkNoonan

I think that the closest you can come to doing that would be to use the point code description field. If you set the description to be the same as the name, it should work.

Message 4 of 5
borchj
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Thanks for the relpies - Kirk, I thought about doing it that way as well. But it would still make for numerous entries in the Code Set Style - one for each control line or right-of-way type that needed a different label. I was hoping there'd be a way to label all control lines and ROWs using just a couple Marker/Label styles. Doesn't look like it though. 

Thanks again

Message 5 of 5
KirkNoonan

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it sounds like you went to the trouble to name all of the various points. If you just go back and add the name in the description box on the marked point sub-assembly, then you just have to add on label to your code st that shows the description of the marked point. Combine that with the profile grade line display in your section view, and you should get a pretty workable label.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report