Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a 3D model of a Topographic map

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mk9023
2918 Views, 3 Replies

Create a 3D model of a Topographic map

So I have a topographic map on Civil 3D, is there a way to generate a 3D model of it? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: mk9023

Are you meaning a "true" 3D printed scale model..?

If so, first you should solidify your C3D surface, then export it as .STL file to bring to a specialized service.

Message 3 of 4
Neilw_05
in reply to: mk9023

It depends on the source of the map data. If it is a USGS topo map then you can download a Digital Elevation Model (DEM) from several free GIS servers and build a model from that. The USGS DEM data is created from the data that was used to make the topo maps. However I find the contours from surfaces built from these DEMs do not match the topo map contours very well in some areas, but at least you have something to work with.

The National Map Seamless data server is an excellent source for DEM's, now served in National Elevation Dataset (NED) format. Do a search for Digital Elevation Models. Also reasearch the forum for how to create a surface from an NED file.

If your map was from a non-published source, such as a private survey, then your only recourse, aside from getting the source data, is to digitize the contours.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 4
Neilw_05
in reply to: antoniovinci

Nice call Antonio. A 3D printed model never occured to me. Gotta get with the times.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report