Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash when Switching Layout

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
heathers
4960 Views, 14 Replies

Crash when Switching Layout

I have searched around the internet and can't find anything to help me with this one.  When I try to switch between different Layouts, using the tab or LO command, Civil3D crashes on me and I get this error. ssError.jpg

Doea anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this?  It doesn't happen with all drawings and it doesn't happen to other users.  Other than that I cannot find any corralations between the drawings it does happen to.  It doesn't crash if I use the FIND command and it jumps to a different Layout to highlight text.

Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Avera737
in reply to: heathers

Heather,

You could try running "audit" or drawing recovery for the drawings you are having issues with.

You could also try enabling "cache model tab and last/all layout(s)".

If you need more specific instructions on how to do either of those just let me know.

- Aaron

Message 3 of 15
heathers
in reply to: Avera737

I have run audits before and no errors are reported.  I have also tried re-installing the software and that didn't fix it.

I just tried changing the Layout Regen Options, as you suggested, and though it didn't "fix" it I was able to create a different result.  When switched to "cache model tab and all layouts" I was able to move between layouts without the crash as long as I gave them time to load completely.  If I selected one then immediately selected a different one it crashed again.  So I can at least work in the different layouts now but I would love for the problem to be fixed completely. 

Message 4 of 15
hgohel

heathers,

We've investigated such reports quite a bit, and incorporated several fixes in Civil 3D 2011 Update 2, and also in Civil 3D 2012.  For Civil 3D 2010 I cannot recall if anything specific was in the service packs related to this issue, but the first thing you should try is to download and install the latest Update for it, which is Update 3.1.  Let us know if that helps.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 15
heathers

Ha but then I went to print from the layout and it crashed 😞

Message 6 of 15
heathers
in reply to: hgohel

OK I will tell the IS dept., I am not allowed to download my own updates Smiley Tongue , and let you know how it goes.

Some of the users here are using 2011 and saving the drawings in that version, I first thought it was a compatibility issue but asked other 2010's and they wern't having the problem.

Message 7 of 15
hgohel

From what you've described so far, it could also be that your system is running out of memory.  Are you on Windows XP 32-bit?  What is your system OS & RAM?

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 15
heathers

System Type: 64-Bit Operating System

Memory (RAM): 12.0 GB

Windows Vista

Is that the info you want?  I am not sure about all the internal workings of computers.  I just pulled that off the computer properties.

Civil 3D is completely up to date & still exhibiting the same problem.

We are going to try another re-install later today following some Autodesk instructions my IS tech got a hold of.  Hopefully that fixes it.

Message 9 of 15
heathers

Seems to be fixed with the reinstall, still don't really know what was wrong but it is fixed now.

Message 10 of 15
hgohel

Yes, the OS/bitness is what I was looking for.  Glad to hear that you are not experiencing the crash now.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 15
mconosciani

in model space, turn off layers that are busy (ie text or a certain line type), then switch to paper space and turn those layers back on. this also happens alot with pdf'd files or large images (ie unload them). just turn them off until you need them ON to plot. hope this helps

Message 12 of 15
kmontoya

heathers,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I work for a government entity and I also have been experiencing the same thing as you are. It's only happening on 2 of 24 computers as well. I have not been very successful in locating the problem, however I've been reading about turning off sheet set manager from the quick access toolbar, cache layout and model tabs in options, turning off annotative objects and scales, and info center settings. The version we are currently using is Civil 3D 2012.

Thank You,

Kris Montoya

Engineer Tech (CAD)

Dell Precision T1500

Windows 7 64 bit

8 GB RAM

intel CORE i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz 

Kris Montoya
Engineer Tech (CAD)
Dell Precision T1500
Intel Core i7 860 CPU @ 2.8GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 580
Windows 7 64 Bit
Civil 3D 2012
Message 13 of 15
heathers
in reply to: kmontoya

Actually what we ended up doing was completely reinstalling it on my computer.  We had tried it once and it didn't work, I think because it was not completely wiped clean before the re-install.  So basically start from scratch.  Of course this was done by the computer tech so I don't know what all it entailed.

We think what happened initially was that something went wrong with a support file and it was wreaking havoc on the system.

Message 14 of 15
hgohel
in reply to: kmontoya

Kris,

The OP's problem was with C3D 2010, while you're on C3D 2012, so it's possible that there may be different issues at play.  I suggest sending in CER reports when you crash along with your email address and open a support case with Autodesk Technical Support to have the problem investigated.

Himanshu Gohel
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 15 of 15
kmontoya

@heathers

Thanks I will get with my IT department and try to clean the registry after the install.

@Himanshu

When the crash/hang happens again I will generate a crash log for you to look at.

Kris Montoya
Engineer Tech (CAD)
Dell Precision T1500
Intel Core i7 860 CPU @ 2.8GHz
8 GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 580
Windows 7 64 Bit
Civil 3D 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report