Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrugations on a circle

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
abhaypatwa
331 Views, 6 Replies

Corrugations on a circle

Hi,

I'm new to AuoCAD and still learning all the functions and everything.

I wanted to create a geometry of a cylindrical roller with corrugations on the circular face.

What i was trying to do is actually make corrugations on the circle in 2D and then extrude the entire geometry. However i could not figure out how to make corrugations on the circular surface? Can you give me suggestions/help on how this can be done?

Thanks.

Abhay.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
g_k50
in reply to: abhaypatwa

do some planning first, so that the angles can be completed correctly around the circle.

Use Array command to copy the line angle around a circle path or polar.

explode the array once it's correct.

join the lines together and extrude.

Message 3 of 7
abhaypatwa
in reply to: g_k50

Thanks.

I have all the angles and specifications for the corrugations. Ill try doing this and get back to you. Thanks again. 🙂

Message 4 of 7
abhaypatwa

Hi. The method you mentioned helped.

But the problem im facing now is that the all the flutings are not in the same direction and not in contact. The fluting is changing direction. How can i fix this?

I've attached a file just to explain what im trying to say.

If you zoom into the top portion of the circle, you will notice that the fluting are in contact with one another and fit perfectly but this is not the case at the other places. Hope you can help me with this. Thanks.  

Message 5 of 7
g_k50

Plan on the dimension at the valley of your corrigation and the dimension of the peak.

The dimension should be from the center of the circle that both have in common.

Now if you draw a line from the valley to the peak, what is the angular dimension?  You want that number to be the divisor of 360 so that you end up with an integer number, which is what you'll get if you have planned correctly.

Message 6 of 7
g_k50

See the attached.

Message 7 of 7
abhaypatwa

Thanks!

General question. After extruding the geometry, is it possible to rotate one side of the side by a certain percentage while keeping the other side fixed? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report