Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridors & small complex areas...

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
deltacoolguy
526 Views, 6 Replies

Corridors & small complex areas...

I've read that it is possible to "hand draft" small complex areas that a corridor cannot handle easily.

I have an intersection in an old neighborhood that is constrained by retaining walls, buildings, and so on.  In this I have to fit in current ADA ramps.  Due to constrained space I will have to get creative in my elevations and layouts.

What would be a good workflow for a special situation like this?  Ideally, I'd like to somehow integrate it with the corridor.

Thanks.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
sboon
in reply to: deltacoolguy

In a similar situation I used a corridor to build the paved surface, and then extracted the edge of pavement featurelines.  From there I used the stepped offset, and other featureline editing tools to build the curbs, sidewalks, etc. 

The Elevation by Reference tools on the Modify panel of the Ribbon are particularly useful for this type of work.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 7
deltacoolguy
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

In a similar situation I used a corridor to build the paved surface, and then extracted the edge of pavement featurelines.  From there I used the stepped offset, and other featureline editing tools to build the curbs, sidewalks, etc. 

The Elevation by Reference tools on the Modify panel of the Ribbon are particularly useful for this type of work.

Considering that ADA ramps are on curn returns, does this work within intersections as well?  I am presuming so.

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 4 of 7
sboon

I've attached a drawing with a couple of examples.  The method that worked best for me:

• Offset the curb return alignment to create 2d polylines representing the gutterline, curb and sidewalk. 
  • Edit the polylines to create the ramp, and any other 2d geometry that you want to include. 
  • I had problems with editing the featurelines if they cross without a proper PI, so make sure to add vertices to all of the polylines, at every intersection.
  • Convert the polylines to featurelines, then use the elevation editing tools to finish.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 7
fcernst

"Ideally, I'd like to somehow integrate it with the corridor."

Split and Add a Region to the Curb Return baseline of your Corridor that spans the ADA Ramp stationing and use an Assembly for that Region that will target the ADA Ramp plan geometry.

This will be 100% dynamic for you.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 6 of 7
deltacoolguy
in reply to: fcernst

Excellent suggestions.  Thanks.

One additional question:  Will this work if the ADA ramp is not radial or perpendicular to the curb?  On odd angle, in other words.

(I ended up getting involved in other aspects of the project over the weekend, and have only had a chance to lightly touch on this so far.)

Windows 10-64 Pro
8GB RAM (Home)
12GB RAM (Work)
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2019
Message 7 of 7
sboon

Yep.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report