Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridors Surfaces and Intersections

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
civil_tech3
6408 Views, 9 Replies

Corridors Surfaces and Intersections

Heres the issue;

I created my main corridor which is a 4 lane arterial with ditching on both sides targeted to my prelim surface. On my main corridor i have several intersections and approaches which i created intersections for and set the targets so they are correct, i also created secondary roads for all intersections. Now that it is visually correct there is a few things i would like to do.

1) Combine all intersections to my main corridor and creat surface for adjusted volumes.

2) Raise combined corridor and intersections to adjust cuts / fills so that all attached intersection and adjacent corridors adjust with the main corridor.

Do i have to go to my main corridor profile and move each curve and tangent seperately, then check all other profiles and intersection to insure everything has been adjusted?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Which version of civil 3d are you using?

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 10
BrianHailey
in reply to: civil_tech3

You can initially create it all as one corridor model and then create one surface from that corridor. If you have several corridors, you'll need to create different surfaces for each one and then create a "Composite" surface that you would then paster all the other surfaces into. There is no way that I'm aware of to combine two corridors together other then manually recreating the baselines and regions on one of the corridors.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 4 of 10
civil_tech3

I am using Civil 2012.

I will try creating my intersection and adding them to corridor instead of creating a new corridor for every intersection, also i will compair this method to creating a new surface and pasting the corridor surfaces together.

Thanks for the input.

Message 5 of 10
gte959s

What were your findings?  Which worked better?

Message 6 of 10
civil_tech3

What I found works best is that if you create all the intersections first, try using as many common offset alignments as possible to minimize the file size. All intersections should be added to one corridor. After you have adjusted all the intersections so they look the way you want them too then in the corridor properties box, click on parameters and on the same base line (cl) add in all the regions in between the intersections. This works well because if you have multiple assemblies you want to apply in between the intersections you can specify the assembly you want and the stationing you want it to extend to, you can also edit the targets from this dialog box. Using the conditional cut/fill sub-assembly you can create multiple different scenarios without using multiple assemblies, this will make rebuilding the corridor a lot quicker, I would recommend using them if your constructing ditches. 

Once you constructed all the regions in between the intersections then you should have a full one piece corridor. From this you can create the corridor surfaces (top and datum), I would recommend analyzing the surface using multiple methods (triangulation, contours, slope arrows, object viewer, etc). My preferred one is using the slope arrows and setting the color/grade to something that can be easily distinguished. For e.g.., if you want no slopes less then 1% grade then create the first color (something easy to see) 0-1% and if you want nothing grater then 5% grade create the last color (something easy to see) 5%-99%. From this you can tell if the surface is doing anything you don't want it to or if it has adjusted your profiles without you knowing. Another good thing to do is on your profiles lock any vertices you want to maintain because when editing the baseline profile to adjust cuts and fills I found that civil 3D wanted to fix some of my side street profiles that were at Max grade.

I found this to be the easiest way to manage my corridor as well as compute volumes and balancing the cut/fills. Remember that volumes should be computed using the datum surface for earthworks, which means this corridor surface should be the most accurate.

*Easiest way to visually check the corridor is by using sample lines to create cross sections!

If anyone knows of an easier method please let me know!

*** When creating anything in 3D (e.g.. Surfaces) Object Viewer is your best friend!!! ***

Message 7 of 10
civil_tech3

Forgot to add, had major problems when creating individual surfaces for each corridor/intersection and combining all the surfaces together into a fg surface. Also this way took way to long and rebuilding surfaces/corridor resulted in c-3d hanging up/

Message 8 of 10
Arch.Mugal

My name is Mudassir Hameed... i read all forum i find here most peoples have Professional Solutions.... but for new users its hard to understand...can any one explain step by step or refered a complete guide about Corridor, Corridors Surfaces and Intersections...

Message 9 of 10
PKINGSTON

This helped me out grandly.

Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Arch.Mugal

Hello Mudassir Hameed

you are not alone. Everyone here that speaks in the tongue of Civil3d have been in your position.
I it would be nearly impossible to list a step by step without an understanding of the Civil3d speak. I will try using as plain designer language as I can
in order to build a corridor there are three prerequisites
1. Alignment : design line that controls horizontal path
2. Profile: design line that controls vertical path
3. Assembly : typical cross section shape. In the olden days we called it a template. In Civil3d this can be made up from a collection of sub assemblies: shapes in typical section

You probably hear people speak
Of Targets : horizontal and or vertical lines that sub assemblies can be connected to. These can stretch or shrink your assembly.

Intersections: a method of combining assemblies at a junction. Intersections leverage the same controls and get combined into a corridor.

You could say intersections are number 4. In the corridor list that make up a comprehensive design.

This description is for road design paradigm. With imagination corridors can be used for virtually anything a site civil , transportation, waste water ... engineers can throw at it.

I encourage you to do the tutorials provided with Civil3d. Knee jerk reaction when looking at the tutorial list may be 😳 that’s a lot! Although they are set up in a logical order it’s like an X-Men comic book; you can pick it up anywhere and figure out where it’s going.

Soon you will be here posting questions in Civil3d language and before you know it you will answer someone’s question and be a solution contributor.
Good luck

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report