Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridors: All roads in one corridor or separate corridor for each road?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
mermerCAD
1280 Views, 9 Replies

Corridors: All roads in one corridor or separate corridor for each road?

Hi everybody-

We just started using C3D about a year ago so we don't really know anything still.  My question is this:  When designing a residential site with 4 or 5 roads, is it better to put all of the roads and intersections in one corridor or is it better that each road and intersection be a separate corridor?  We have advocates for both methods in our offices, and I just wanted to get an idea of what more experienced users do.

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2014

Windows 7 64 bit

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: mermerCAD

@mermerCAD wrote:

Hi everybody-

We just started using C3D about a year ago so we don't really know anything still.  My question is this:  When designing a residential site with 4 or 5 roads, is it better to put all of the roads and intersections in one corridor or is it better that each road and intersection be a separate corridor?  We have advocates for both methods in our offices, and I just wanted to get an idea of what more experienced users do.

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2014

Windows 7 64 bit

We used to put everything in the same corridor, but have found many flaws with C3D 2013 and 2014. For instance, we had a corridor with a frequency of 50' for tangents and 10' for curves. Because a PC happened to be about 0.1' from a whole station, C3D refused to allow that section to be edited. It was showing in the plan view, but the corridor section editor didn't have it listed. I had a post about this months ago and SR, but was told that you can't have corridor sections that close to each other. There are also problems where a corridor won't build correctly if there are too many baselines. I noticed this just a few weeks ago and had to take a side road intersection out of the main corridor and place it in its own corridor in order for the corridor to build correctly. There would be whole sections of baselines not building correctly until I turned off any other baseline. Since I couldn't turn off any of the baselines, I had to take a few out and put them in their own corridor. 

I would recommend that you keep a corridor for each road unless the side roads are short. Pick a main road and keep the intersections in it and make the side roads their own corridors. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 10
Jeff_M
in reply to: Cadguru42

Interesting, I have always (well, since after my first project many moons ago) kept all roads and intersections in the same corridor. This helps to insure everything plays nice together, gives me just 1 corridor surface, and just 1 thing to keep track of. I've never experienced any of the issues engrtech describes. Although I must say I do not use 2013 or 2014, there are other issues with these versions that have kept me working in 2012. Also, I very rarely need to use the section editor.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 4 of 10
Jay_B

Our workflow is street by street here.

This allows for splitting up the design amongst the project team and also keeps the files smaller & cleaner resulting in improved performance.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 5 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: Jeff_M

@Jeff_M wrote:
Interesting, I have always (well, since after my first project many moons ago) kept all roads and intersections in the same corridor. This helps to insure everything plays nice together, gives me just 1 corridor surface, and just 1 thing to keep track of. I've never experienced any of the issues engrtech describes. Although I must say I do not use 2013 or 2014, there are other issues with these versions that have kept me working in 2012. Also, I very rarely need to use the section editor.

Like you, before 2013 we kept everything in a single corridor because its more simple. That worked fine from 2007-2012, but 2013 and 2014 have issues, which is why we've changed how we handle them. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 10
neilyj666

I've recently moved to a single corridor work flow as I find it easier for my needs. You do however have to be very meticulous with naming baselines and regions as it is very easy to get confused and start editing the wrong thing.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 10
fcernst
in reply to: Jeff_M

"..I've never experienced any of the issues engrtech describes. Although I must say I do not use 2013 or 2014, there are other issues with these versions that have kept me working in 2012..."

That's pretty sad commentary Jeff... I encourage you to put pressure on your acquaintances in the Civil 3D leadership positions to rectify this.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 8 of 10
alderliesteng

I don't think there is a one-size fits all answer to this question.  It depends a bit on the project.

As Jeff said the advantages to one corridor are:

- Easier to coodinate the connections between the alignments

- The result is a unified corridor surface for the whole site (a significant advantage imo)

On the other hand:

- The larger the project the slower the single corridor drawing will become.  This can get very frustrating.

- All your eggs are in one basket.  If the single corridor drawing becomes corrupted you've lost everything

My default position is to have a single corridor.  However if the project is large then I break it up.  How you define "large" will depend on your system spec and your risk tolerance level.

Message 9 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: alderliesteng

@alderliesteng wrote:

I don't think there is a one-size fits all answer to this question.  It depends a bit on the project.

As Jeff said the advantages to one corridor are:

- Easier to coodinate the connections between the alignments

- The result is a unified corridor surface for the whole site (a significant advantage imo) - This is the deal clincher for me

On the other hand:

- The larger the project the slower the single corridor drawing will become.  This can get very frustrating.

- All your eggs are in one basket.  If the single corridor drawing becomes corrupted you've lost everything - although the corridor object is a pretty robust one compared with gradings

My default position is to have a single corridor.  However if the project is large then I break it up.  How you define "large" will depend on your system spec and your risk tolerance level.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 10 of 10
Cadguru42
in reply to: alderliesteng

@alderliesteng wrote:

- The result is a unified corridor surface for the whole site (a significant advantage imo)

You can still do a unified surface with multiple corridor surfaces. Just create a final road (or whatever) surface that is blank then paste in the different corridor surfaces. It stays dynamic and also lets you see problems easier, IMO. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report