Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor with Stock Assemblies, Ditch only if certain height?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
doni49
647 Views, 6 Replies

Corridor with Stock Assemblies, Ditch only if certain height?

I'm trying to help an engineer in my office with his corridor but I'm a little stumped myself.  Here's a sketch of what he's trying to do.

ConditionalDitch.png

PTx is 6' to the right of and 18" below the hinge point.  If PTx is in cut, then he wants a V ditch.  If PTx is in Fill or is at grade, then there should not be a ditch.  The green line is existing ground when it's at grade.  The orange line is the EG when it's in cut.  The backslope line (purple) should only appear when the ditch is needed.

I originally thougth that I'd use a LinkWidthanSlope to find PTx and set OmitLink = Yes.  But then I couldn't figure out how to get it to tie back to the hinge point.

Can this be done with Stock SAs?  Or do I need to use SAC for this (if I need to go SAC, I know how to do it easily -- I'd just prefer to avoid having to instruct people to import the pkt file so they can view the dwg file).

EDIT:  If PTx IS in fill, then it should just daylight to the EG surface.

EDIT2:  I know the proportions are not even close to right -- I wanted to make sure you could see the separation.  And like I said, this is just a sketch.

TIA!

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: doni49

I would use the stock conditional subassembly.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 7
doni49
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thanks Todd.  But that didn't work either.  The end pf the purple line (the LinkSlopeAndWidth) is PTx. 

ConditionalDitchAssembly.png

This what it looks like in Cross Section Editor when in Fill Condition:

ConditionalDitchSect1.png

And in Cut Condition.

ConditionalDitchSect2.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

You do not appear to have any assemblies at the outer ends of your conditional assemblies. At that point you should provide the ditch section in cut and the slope to daylight for fill.

You will probably need to tweak the settings for your conditional assemblies also.
Message 5 of 7
doni49

I think you're correct. I was thinking that the conditionalCF actually create the daylight point.

I'll add the SAs and try again.

The.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 7
sboon

It seems like you're overthinking this.  Use DaylightGeneral with the dimensions of Cut Link 1 set to locate your point.  If that point is in cut then it finishes the ditch.  If not then it will build a fill slope.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 7
fcernst
in reply to: sboon

It seems like you're overthinking this.  Use DaylightGeneral ...

Overthinking? ...Not at all.

DaylightGeneral is a lame duck subassembly for engineering work. This is because it has no horizontal or elevation target capabilities. It's great for creating constant prismatic sections, but that's it.

The engineer needs to be able to grab hold of the ditch invert at any time to tie into structures, react to other dependencies, capacities,  and constraints.... solve real world design problems.

LinkWidthSlope will allow the engineer to grab hold when needed.

You also want to think about grabbing hold of the Daylight to get around electrical tranformers, stay off the Fiber,  and save a few trees now and then... 

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report