Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor tricks don't work in 2011

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jasonwagner2817
2803 Views, 9 Replies

Corridor tricks don't work in 2011

All:

I have a challenge in C3D2011, that used to work simply in C3D2009. For simple drianage ditches, I'd use the 2 assemblies attached:

- The "Ditch Blend" would be a simple 2:1 daylight from the ditch centerline to the existing grade, just to blend the end to grade in the first 10', as the first region in the corridor, and blend into the pond in a final region.

- The "Main Ditch" would make sure that the full ditch (in this case 2:1, 0' bottom, 1.5' deep) would be place, and utilize cond. cut/fill sub-assemblies to make sure that if it was in fill, it would put in a 1.5' berm before filling, as the middle region, the bulk of the corridor.

The problem arises in the transition between the regions. In Civil 3D 2009, this would work perfectly, and the daylights would match. Now as in the "Problem", I get this goofy area that doesn't transition right. We do mining projects, and put tons of ditches in. This used to be easy in 2009, but it doesn't in 2011 - and it's not worth doing all kinds of transiton alignments and such for simple ditches. Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mathewkol
in reply to: jasonwagner2817

In the feature lines tab in corridor properties, try changing the connection options.
Also try having a small gap between your regions.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 10
jasonwagner2817
in reply to: mathewkol

Thanks for the help Matt. Prior to this I couldn't get a daylight boundary for the resulting corridor surface. I tried both options and got that option now. Interesting results though:

- with a 5' gap (same as my frequency) - it seems to build the surface between it, but doesn't create the feature lines in the gap, as attached (C3D 2009 used to transition the gap).  

- with using the option to "connect extra points" in the feature lines tab (and no gap), it creates a better blend, but there seems to be some crossings, as attached.

The second one seems to be the best solution for now, it gives me a complete surface with a proper boundary. And as I said previously - "it's just a ditch".

Thank you,

Jason W.

Message 4 of 10

Have you check if the Code Set Style you have assigned to the corridor has a Feature Line Style assigned to the Point Code "Daylight"?

What you are showing looks like it could be from have a Feature Line Style assigned to "Daylight_Cut" and another assigned to "Daylight_Fill".

As a work around, what about using a very small version of the main ditch assembly for the blend area and only have it apply to the end of the ditch?

Basically make a copy of your ditch assembly and have dimensions of 1/8" (or smaller) for all the widths and only have 1 frequency point, being the very end point of the ditch. This should allow the feature lines to taper in as the codes for both assemblies will be the same.

I have not tried this for this particular case but I have seen the same effect on other corridors.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the help Andrew. I'm only using the Basic Side Slope Cut Ditch, so th can't set the codes - they should be set to daylight by default. I added the small"cheater" pieces to the blend assembly, and they worked in the main ditch area, but since the blend assembly is in cut, the fill condition does not show, and so that part still has the break when it transitions to the full ditch.

Again, if I use the "connect extra points" toggle, it at least creates a boundary, but there's still that strange crossing between the 2 assemblies. It still works though for what I need - I just wish it would work like 2009 did. I also attached a image from a 2009 project that hasn't been migrated up yet. It uses the original blend and the full ditch assembly, and just works right - connects the outside daylights as it should, no messing with any settings.

Message 6 of 10
mathewkol
in reply to: jasonwagner2817

The thing about 2011 that I think is causing the problem is that you can now have bothe assemblies show up at the same station at the region boundary. Not necessarily a good thing.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 7 of 10
jasonwagner2817
in reply to: mathewkol

I agree with your concern about the different assemblies at the same station Matt. I usually would allow a 5' gap in Civil 3D 2009, and it would blend the gap. But in 2011 - I get an actual gap in the corridor if I start the next region 5' down from the previous, as seen in the "gap" image in my second post in this thread. I'm just not sure how to get this to blend easily and simply as it used to for such a "simple" corridor (with simple relating to importance to the design, not in complexity of assemblies).

I appreciate all the input you guys have provided. It is helping in this transition to 2011 from 2009 - not that we'll have to do another to 2012 soon. Followed by a file format change coming in the next version after...

2013 - will it bring back fond memories of R13?

Message 8 of 10

I just figured out how to get it to work the way it used to. I was thinking it you have a gap, i.e. a section of the corridor which no region covers, you are basically telling civil 3d this section is not for construction/reconstruction. So I tried the following, which worked. Sorry I didn't think of it earlier.

Just insert an empty assembly into the drawing, then use this in the areas you want your transitions.

As an example, you can use your first assemby at station 0.00 to 10.00 say, the blank one between 10.00 and 15.00 and your second assembly between 15.00 and 40.00. Between 10.00 and 15.00, civil 3d will join the common feature lines between the two outside regions accross the region with the blank assembly.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 9 of 10

Sorry, seems I jumped the gun.

I had luck in part, as I got three "transitions" to work, but tried to create a fourth one and it did not work. Opened a new drawing and tried to create a transition and no luck so far.

Hopefully someone else will be to get it to work.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Civil 3d 2021
Message 10 of 10
bkanther
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

I can't belive there is isn't a simple method to transition a daylight in civil 3d.

Transition from 1:2 to 1:4 over 20m between CH110 and CH130. This is basic road functionality. 

Seems this whole "connect" feature line solution is very finicky. Even when choose "create extra points". It just doesn't do it correctly.

In 12d I can choose between a linear or cubic transition and specify the exact chainages I wish to transition between.

WTF civil 3D!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report