AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (358 Views)
Accepted Solution

Corridor missing triangles error

358 Views, 6 Replies
02-07-2013 08:05 AM

I'm doing a small design for a footway/cycleway across an embankment behind an existing retaining wall with a tie-in to an existing car park.

• H-alignment done (LHS edge alignment, chainages working from west to east)
  • H-alignment target extents to retaining wall
  • V-alignment done, with target to RHS offset design levels beyond crest and into car park
  • Combined surface created by pasting existing ground and finished top surface (shown in contours).
  • Some anomalies corrected by swapping edges in the EG surface.

As can be seen, I appear to be missing triangles from the design corridor.

I'd be very grateful for any advice about what I should experiment with in order to improve the corridor model. This will improve the accuracy of the earthworks calculations. Thanks in advance.

*Expert Elite*
Joe-Bouza
Message 2 of 7 (333 Views)

Re: Corridor missing triangles error

02-07-2013 04:38 PM in reply to: trevj

Thats some frequency :smileywink:

Have you verified all targets for all regions?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People) Civil 3D 2012 & 2013
HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win7 OS
*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 3 of 7 (317 Views)

02-07-2013 06:51 PM in reply to: trevj

It looks like you might have a boundary problem that is causing triangles to be deleted.  How is the surface boundary defined?

Contributor
Message 4 of 7 (300 Views)

02-08-2013 01:44 AM in reply to: sboon

Thanks for the swift replies.

Joe-Bouza wrote:

Thats some frequency :smileywink:

Thanks, yes, I could reduce the frequency, but it's only 50m long and I wasn't confident with the 1m frequency. I really need to compare surfaces for different frequencies (probably finished contours would do it).

Have you verified all targets for all regions?

Yes, but I've not removed all the region definitions and retargeted from scratch. I'm not sure if it's correctly designed or not. Maybe these further screengrabs will be informative.

c3dforum_tkj03.PNG

c3dforum_tkj04.PNG

sboon wrote:

It looks like you might have a boundary problem that is causing triangles to be deleted.  How is the surface boundary defined?

The surface is created from the corridor, with no additional edit operations listed in the surface properties.

c3dforum_tkj02.PNG

(The remaining Edit operations are Yes, except 'Use simplify'.) Some of the missing triangles cross region boundaries, but some are within single regions, with correct triangles either side running to the start/finish of the region(s).

Contributor
Message 5 of 7 (258 Views)

02-15-2013 10:05 AM in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Do you have any more pointers on this, please? Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 6 of 7 (254 Views)

02-15-2013 10:21 AM in reply to: trevj

To clarify my original question.  Is the surface boundary defined in the corridor by polygon, by featurelines or by corridor shrinkwrap?

Contributor
Message 7 of 7 (209 Views)

02-21-2013 03:20 AM in reply to: sboon

sboon wrote:

To clarify my original question.  Is the surface boundary defined in the corridor by polygon, by featurelines or by corridor shrinkwrap?

The boundary was undefined! I've added it as corridor shrinkwrap and it now seems to be sorted! Thanks so much :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs