Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor item to continue past daylight along EG

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
doni49
556 Views, 9 Replies

Corridor item to continue past daylight along EG

I have a corridor design and the corridor daylights very close to the pavement.  I need to have rock from the EOP out beyond the daylight point to a 30' offset from the alignment.  I need it to follow the EG and show a depth of 2' throughout.

I had to draw the rock shapes manually.  But I'd like to figure out how to do it using the corridor if possible.

Please see the attached image.  Everything beyond the daylight point was traced on top of the EG and then offset 2' to get the bottom.

TIA!

XSection - Feature to Follow EG.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mathewkol
in reply to: doni49

You can use the Stripping Topsoil subassembly to make a surface that is the bototm of rock.  Then you would compute materials between your OG and this new surface and use a shape style that llooks like your rock hatch.

Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 10
doni49
in reply to: mathewkol

1. Hi Matt.  That sounded like it should do the trick but I'm having trouble with it.

I can specify the depth of two feet ok.  But it wants me to hard code the width and I don't know this number. 

Since my previous example showed that I'm doing this work on the left side, I'll continue with that example. 

1) The section daylights at the EG and then I want the rock to follow the contour of the EG until reaching a point 30 ft to the left of the baseline (alignment).

When I attempt to use the suggested sub-assembly, it wants the width from the point of placement (which would be the daylight point) to the baseline offset point.

2) I need the bottom of the SA to follow the same slope as the EG Slope segment directly above it.

3) I need what this SA is calling "Foreslope" and "Backslope" to be perpendicular to the EG segment.

Is this possible?  Or should I continue doing this manually?

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 10
Jeff_M

Create an Offset Alignment at the 30' width, you can then target that alignment for the width. Use a slope of 0.001 to get a near vertical tie in.

Put the offset alignment on a no plot layer or give it a no show style.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 10
sboon
in reply to: Jeff_M

I can see two problems with this solution:

• A stripping subassembly attached to the edge of pavement will create a stripping surface below the EG, not the designed shoulder.
  • If you try to create a surface from two stripping subs on either side of the road then the TIN will link across the gap in the middle.

Both problems are fixable but it looks like you're going to need a different daylight sub, and two stripping subs on each side.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 10
doni49
in reply to: sboon

Hi all.  I'm just now getting back to trying to figure this out.  I've made some progress but still not sure.

In the following screen shot, you'll see that the area under the pavement (in red) needs to be one type of fill while the area outside of the pavement, needs to be a diff type of fill.

And if the daylight point is beyond 30 ft (as it is on the left), then I don't need ANY stripping on that side.  The only stripping needed is the portion between the daylight pt and 30 offset. 

So far, all of my attempts have caused the topsoil stripping to be completely with the daylight area if it daylights beyond the 30 ft offset (see the blue line--that's the stripping--I just haven't added the rock pattern yet).

Oh and I'm not worried about how it triangulates--the only purpose of this is to get the rock lines to show up on the cross sections and have the outline of the rock area added to the plan as a feature line (and the same rock pattern will be applied to the resulting shape in plan view as well).

The red and yellow shapes were added to the screen shot in Paint (along with the offset distances) just to help illustrate what I'm trying to accomplish.

ALL of the yellow area should be shown using the rock pattern as illustrated above (I've found out that it wasn't shown exactly correctly before).

EDIT:  the yellow shape between 20 and 30 ft offset is currently being shown correctly in the cross section and it was created by the corridor using the previously suggested SA.  But the blue line on the left side btwn pavement and 30 ft offset was also created in the same manner.

Edit #2:  I guess I misspoke.  I DO care about how it triangulates because I need to get the volumes of the rock area (yellow area) and the Fill Type 2 area (red area) separately.  I guess that part will take some real thought.  But for now, I'd be somewhat satisified if I could get the areas to show correctly on plan and cross sections.

CrossSection.png

Don Ireland

Message 7 of 10
doni49

BTW -- No I'm not crazy enough to think that the fill will actually go perfectly vertical like that.  It's technically all pretty much the same aggregate rock material but within one of those two areas, they're adding something in with the aggregate.

I don't really know the specs on what that additional material is but the designer wants to show it this way.

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 10
sboon

OK now you have two problems to deal with.  Let's work on the stripping first.  Currently you have the stripping sub set to start from the daylight point and extend out to the 30' offset.  If the daylight point is already beyond 30' then the sub apparently resets to the inside of the daylight subassembly and starts from there - not what you wanted.

The solution here is to separate the stripping from the rest of the construction, and use a separate assembly and corridor for it.  Starting with the road and daylight, extract the daylight featurelines from that corridor, maintaining the dynamic link.  The assembly for the stripping will have a ConditionalHorizontal sub which checks for the offset of the daylight F/L.  If it's less than 30' then apply the stripping sub. 

The problem you're going to run into is that because the stripping is discontinuous the surface is going to be messy.  You may have to build several boundaries to make it work.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 9 of 10
doni49
in reply to: sboon

Thanks for the reply but I was able to find a simpler solution to the issue of showing the stripping inside of the daylight.

I looked at the plan view and saw where the daylight is beyond the 30ft offset and fixed it so that the alignment only exists where the daylight is within the 30ft.  This is a boat ramp and as we go down the ramp, the daylight point gets closer to the BL.  Once the offset alignment is needed, it's needed for the rest of the corridor.

So one issue down.

Now I need to figure out how to get it to calc all of the yellow areas together and the red areas together -- as well as showing the correct hatch patterns.

EDIT:  I inserted a ConditionalHorizontal to seek the offset alignment.  If not found, it doesn't show the stripping.  If found, it does.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 10
doni49

Here's the same section as I previously showed but with the updated offset alignments.

I used the TopSoilStripping SA and for some reason, it doesn't include a shape so I can't apply the hatch pattern to it.  I am so close but still feel so far away.  😞

CrossSectionStripping.png

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report