Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor in Cross Sections not updating automatically (2014)

36 REPLIES 36
Message 1 of 37
ccookusi
2258 Views, 36 Replies

Corridor in Cross Sections not updating automatically (2014)

This is a new one, and not good.

When opening a drawing that has  corridor model xrefed in, the corridor section is not updating automatically.

If I reload the xref, it updates.

If I manually synchronize the alignment, it updates.

But just opening the drawing, it does not update.

I have even tried using the OTB tutorial drawings. Same problem.

Anybody else not having their cross sections update automatically?

Windows 10 Pro x64
Civil 3D 2018
Dell Precision 7720
i7 7700HQ
NVIDIA Quadro P3000
NVMe Samsung SSD 960 Boot
16 GB Ram
36 REPLIES 36
Message 21 of 37
tcorey
in reply to: fcernst

Ok, if I create the section views in a drawing that contains an xref'd corridor, when I open the sections' drawing after having modified the corridor in its parent drawing, the corridor sections have not updated. XLOADCTL 0, 1 or 2.

If I Reload the Xref or synchronize my referenced alignment, the sections update.

Looks like a bug to me. 

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 22 of 37
fcernst
in reply to: tcorey

Please submit it to Almas. He is looking for examples.

Thanks

Fred

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 23 of 37
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: ccookusi

Guys my apology. I totally missed the operative word XREF. Mine is broke too. Sorry about that.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 24 of 37
tcorey

Easy workaround:

add these two lines to your acaddoc.lsp:

(vl-load-com)

(vl-cmdf "XREF" "R" "*")

That last part is hard to read. It's quote asterisk quote.

This forces an xref reload on opening any drawing.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 25 of 37
tcorey

When I tested it I had no data references except an alignment. I just had a drawing containing a corridor, which I xref'd in to another drawing and then made sections. 

This defect has the potential to cause some incorrect output and that's a big deal, but it is easy to work around the issue using the lisp code I posted earlier.

I dont' think this is a "the sky is falling" problem.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 26 of 37
fcernst

I dont' think this is a "the sky is falling" problem.

I understand your perspective as you look at this as a software re-seller "please have no mind of these issues and continue to buy my software".

This is very critical knowledge for people  to have who work in the Civil design shops. Incorrect ouput is an absolute business killer..

Again the statement from development, very astonishingly,  states

"...we optimized the code to reduce the sync operation when open the drawing, which may results in some unexpected behavior when the object reference relationship is complicated. '

Stunning...

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 27 of 37
tcorey

I understand your perspective as you look at this as a software re-seller "please have no mind of these issues and continue to buy my software".

That's an unfair characterization, sir. I provided a solution to the original post in this thread. When did I say "please have no mind....?" The solution is simple and takes ninety seconds to implement. 

Now I will provide a solution to the re-synch issue:

Add these two lines to your acaddoc.lsp:

(vl-load-com)

(vl-cmdf "SYNCHRONIZEREFERENCES")

How is this issue causing the sky to fall if you can solve it so easily?

Oh, one last thing...please buy my software.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 28 of 37
fcernst

Why are you suggesting users re-engineer the software against the software developers' specific recent new programming intentions in this area of the software?

Do your research, starting with C3D 2013 the developers specifically and intentionally changed the data referencing code.

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 29 of 37
tcorey

@fcernst wrote:

Why are you suggesting users re-engineer the software ...

I'm not. I am just trying to offer a simple solution to those who want the synchronization process to happen upon opening of every drawing.

Have a great day, Fred.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 30 of 37
fcernst

Did you thoroughly and rigorously test this solution before suggesting this to users?

The current feedback I have from Support tells me Development has specifically targeted the synchronization process with new optimized code. They did not suggest overriding this behavior as you suggest.

There's a reason obviously they have not done, what you have done. Are you sure your procedure does not interfere with the new synchronization coding and other sequential loading of program support files at startup for 2013 and 2014?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 31 of 37
Jeff_M

Good grief, Fred. Autodesk has said there are instances that their new methodology does not work well with. Issuing the synchronizeallreferences forces the synchronization to occur. If you don't want to use it, don't. Someone may find Tim's snippets of code beneficial for their project(s). The only real thing it hurts, as far as I can tell, are the load times for the drawings which is what Autodesk was trying to improve.

FWIW, I have 2 projects that I MUST manually sync every drawing when opening. I have been using similar code when I know I will be working on those projects.

However, I would still like to have the underlying issue corrected so this workaround would not be needed.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 32 of 37
fcernst
in reply to: Jeff_M

No, I have no plans of using the suggestion at this point given the circumstances of the significant changes to the synchronization procedures in the official code that I have just recently become aware of. I have been advised to do otherwise from Support.

Q.   Do you have sufficient and competent knowledge of the required sequential loading schedule of the program files (dll, exe, etc.) at Startup pertaining to the current optimized synchronization processes in 2013 and 2014?

Q.  Can you state positively and affirmatively, regarding function of the optimized syncronization coding, and in consideration of the suggested Corridor Section production workflow that consists of consumer Section and source Corridor drawings, if the Data synchronization process should come 1) before the XREF synchronization process, or 2) after?

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 33 of 37
bryan
in reply to: ccookusi
Message 34 of 37
klugb
in reply to: bryan

I didn't get very favorable results myself with the updated file. Has anyone else tested this?

BTW, Simply reloading the xref does nothing for me.

I was not in C3D when I copied the new file over. I opened the "base" file with the corridor in it and made a significant change, rebuilt and saved.

I opened the X-Section DWG that xreferences the base and data shortcuts the alignments. Upon opening the corridor looks correct but the QTO shading is still at the old location. I selected the alignment and "synchronized" now everything matches,  but when trying to save I get the error message to recover. After recovering the drawing I get a mess:

• Only 1/2 the corridor. (pre- SP2 issue)
  • QTO is messed up.
  • Even though it shows FG and Datum surfaces they are not listed in the "Sample more sources".

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 35 of 37
Jay_B
in reply to: klugb

Hi Bruce,

We have also seen Cross Sections not updating properly at times in 2014 SP2.

For comparison sake can I ask a few  questions regarding worlkflow used to test the AeccRoadway.dbx file?

Were the EG, Corridor and Datum sampled sources only using Data references and no xref's of?

Was the Corridor xref'd using "Attachment" type?

Is Corridor set to "Rebuild Automatic"?

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 36 of 37
klugb
in reply to: Jay_B

Hi Jay,

Sorry, meetings all morning.

The only data shortcuts I have are Centerline Alignment and the EG surface.

The Corridor, Datum, and FG are all cut/extracted through the XREF.

The Corridor in the base file is NOT set to "Rebuild Automatic". 

All XREF's are in as "Attach".

Thanks

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 37 of 37
Jay_B
in reply to: klugb

Not sure if it will help in this case but due to a number of problems with losing sampled sources and Total volume sec. view tables zeroing out we've been using this workflow:

• Create a XS.dwg which containing Sample Lines & Section Views
  • Sample drefs for all surfaces as the xrefs seem to disappear from the sample source list often.
  • Attach as Attachment Type the corridor dwg and the Point/data dwg the EG lives in.
  • Set Corridor to rebuild Automatic.

Might be worth a try to see if it changes anything.

We do still occasionally have the issue of the corridors not updating through the xref (when users swear their following above workflow) but it's been random and hard to pin down any pattern. Thanks to @Lisa_Pohlmeyer for helping out with this workflow.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report