Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor boundary used in Datum surface: error

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
rkmcswain
1084 Views, 8 Replies

Corridor boundary used in Datum surface: error

Under Corridor surfaces, Boundaries tab - we used "Add Automatically, Daylight" - which seems to work OK, except for some places. In certain regions (that do not correspond to specific corridor regions), the boundary for the DATUM surface just decides to break away from the actual daylight tie.

In the image below, the actual daylight location is roughly the same distance from the alignment for the entire stretch of the corridor, but you can see the areas where the calculated boundary for the DATUM surface is enlarged in a couple of areas.

corridor3.png

Hoping this is a simple step we missed, but if you need more info - can provide....

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sboon
in reply to: rkmcswain

All of your surface issues are at the insides of curves.  Is it possible that you have a bowtie at one of those corners?

Usually when I see this type of error it means that the surface boundary is not being applied to the corridor for some reason, often because of a bowtie.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 9
cia5m

I think for this error just 2 way exists

1- use the end points Daylight links for example P2 (bounded DATUM surface to P2 points)

2- Edit Triangle DATUM surface in toolspace

Message 4 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: cia5m

@cia5m wrote:

I think for this error just 2 way exists

1- use the end points Daylight links for example P2 (bounded DATUM surface to P2 points)

2- Edit Triangle DATUM surface in toolspace

1 - Can you explain with more detail please?

2 - Do you mean manually edit the surface? Sure that is an option, but I'm interested in why the error exists, in order to prevent in the future.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: sboon

@sboon wrote:

All of your surface issues are at the insides of curves.  Is it possible that you have a bowtie at one of those corners?

Usually when I see this type of error it means that the surface boundary is not being applied to the corridor for some reason, often because of a bowtie.

When you say "surface boundary is not being applied to the corridor" - are you saying there is an error in the EG surface and this is causing the Datum surface to not daylight?

Message 6 of 9
sboon

No - I am suggesting that you have a daylight feature line which crosses over itself at the inside of a curve. (aka bowtie)  If this happens then that boundary would be illegal and the system will not use it.

If I am correct then you should be seeing an error message on the panorama when the corridor is rebuilt.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 9
cia5m

Dear frind

1 - Can you explain with more detail please?

2 - Do you mean manually edit the surface? Sure that is an option, but I'm interested in why the error exists, in order to prevent in the future.

1- in corridor properties - in Boundaries tab - Right clik on Datum surface and  choose the Add Automaticlly now

providing you having the Marked Point on Subassembly, C3d disply list those and now just you most choose like point

Attention sent picture

Message 8 of 9
klugb

Can you send the drawing to me? It's easier to determine what's going on.

bruce "dot" klug "at" clark.wa.gov

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 9 of 9
BrianHailey

@rkmcswain wrote:

Under Corridor surfaces, Boundaries tab - we used "Add Automatically, Daylight" - which seems to work OK, except for some places. In certain regions (that do not correspond to specific corridor regions), the boundary for the DATUM surface just decides to break away from the actual daylight tie.

In the image below, the actual daylight location is roughly the same distance from the alignment for the entire stretch of the corridor, but you can see the areas where the calculated boundary for the DATUM surface is enlarged in a couple of areas.

corridor3.png

Hoping this is a simple step we missed, but if you need more info - can provide....

Have you tried using the "Corridor Extents as Outer Boundary" option? If you only have one baseline, you'll have to add an additional baseline (it doesn't matter what alignment you use) and simply don't add a region to it.

Don't know if it will make a difference or not but it's worth a try and it's easy to do.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report