AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 1 of 9 (624 Views)

Corridor boundary used in Datum surface: error

624 Views, 8 Replies
09-08-2011 04:14 PM

Under Corridor surfaces, Boundaries tab - we used "Add Automatically, Daylight" - which seems to work OK, except for some places. In certain regions (that do not correspond to specific corridor regions), the boundary for the DATUM surface just decides to break away from the actual daylight tie.

In the image below, the actual daylight location is roughly the same distance from the alignment for the entire stretch of the corridor, but you can see the areas where the calculated boundary for the DATUM surface is enlarged in a couple of areas.

corridor3.png

Hoping this is a simple step we missed, but if you need more info - can provide....

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 2 of 9 (613 Views)

Re: Corridor boundary used in Datum surface: error

09-08-2011 10:39 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

All of your surface issues are at the insides of curves.  Is it possible that you have a bowtie at one of those corners?

Usually when I see this type of error it means that the surface boundary is not being applied to the corridor for some reason, often because of a bowtie.

cia5m
Message 3 of 9 (608 Views)

09-09-2011 12:34 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

I think for this error just 2 way exists

1- use the end points Daylight links for example P2 (bounded DATUM surface to P2 points)

2- Edit Triangle DATUM surface in toolspace

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 4 of 9 (600 Views)

09-09-2011 06:33 AM in reply to: cia5m

cia5m wrote:

I think for this error just 2 way exists

1- use the end points Daylight links for example P2 (bounded DATUM surface to P2 points)

2- Edit Triangle DATUM surface in toolspace

1 - Can you explain with more detail please?

2 - Do you mean manually edit the surface? Sure that is an option, but I'm interested in why the error exists, in order to prevent in the future.

Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 5 of 9 (599 Views)

09-09-2011 06:35 AM in reply to: sboon

SBoon wrote:

All of your surface issues are at the insides of curves.  Is it possible that you have a bowtie at one of those corners?

Usually when I see this type of error it means that the surface boundary is not being applied to the corridor for some reason, often because of a bowtie.

When you say "surface boundary is not being applied to the corridor" - are you saying there is an error in the EG surface and this is causing the Datum surface to not daylight?

*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 6 of 9 (592 Views)

09-09-2011 07:24 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

No - I am suggesting that you have a daylight feature line which crosses over itself at the inside of a curve. (aka bowtie)  If this happens then that boundary would be illegal and the system will not use it.

If I am correct then you should be seeing an error message on the panorama when the corridor is rebuilt.

cia5m
Message 7 of 9 (578 Views)

09-09-2011 09:22 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Dear frind

1 - Can you explain with more detail please?

2 - Do you mean manually edit the surface? Sure that is an option, but I'm interested in why the error exists, in order to prevent in the future.

1- in corridor properties - in Boundaries tab - Right clik on Datum surface and  choose the Add Automaticlly now

providing you having the Marked Point on Subassembly, C3d disply list those and now just you most choose like point

Attention sent picture

*Expert Elite*
klugb
Message 8 of 9 (572 Views)

09-09-2011 10:08 PM in reply to: rkmcswain

Can you send the drawing to me? It's easier to determine what's going on.

bruce "dot" klug "at" clark.wa.gov

Bruce Klug
AutoCAD Expert Elite
AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014 Certified Professional
Infrastructure Design Suite 2014 (SP1)
Testing Civil 3D 2015
Win 7 Pro, 64-bit
*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 9 of 9 (560 Views)

09-10-2011 10:18 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

rkmcswain wrote:

Under Corridor surfaces, Boundaries tab - we used "Add Automatically, Daylight" - which seems to work OK, except for some places. In certain regions (that do not correspond to specific corridor regions), the boundary for the DATUM surface just decides to break away from the actual daylight tie.

In the image below, the actual daylight location is roughly the same distance from the alignment for the entire stretch of the corridor, but you can see the areas where the calculated boundary for the DATUM surface is enlarged in a couple of areas.

corridor3.png

Hoping this is a simple step we missed, but if you need more info - can provide....

Have you tried using the "Corridor Extents as Outer Boundary" option? If you only have one baseline, you'll have to add an additional baseline (it doesn't matter what alignment you use) and simply don't add a region to it.

Don't know if it will make a difference or not but it's worth a try and it's easy to do.

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs