AutoCAD Civil 3D General

Active Contributor
Message 1 of 9 (350 Views)
Accepted Solution

Corridor Troubles

350 Views, 8 Replies
01-11-2013 02:42 PM

I have a pretty basic corridor composed of 3 assemblies, total length of <5000 LF. All assemblies generally are using the lane outside AOR, shoulder extend all & generic links to create a borrow ditch. The different assemblies are being used simply for a few regions with slight geometry difference (e.g. wider or narrower borrow ditch).

Nearly halfway inside my third region I am getting a horrible 'bobble' in my surface (see attached. Everything on either side models nicely. I have checked the profile, targets, frequency, tried to make sense of the triangulation in this area. Everything seems to be correct other than this small portion of the corridor. Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

I am at my wits end trying to diagnose this one!

Active Contributor
Message 2 of 9 (333 Views)

Re: Corridor Troubles

01-11-2013 04:44 PM in reply to: tysonbird

I've experienced something like this before. Are you at a region change? What I did to fix my issue was pretty elementary. I copied my assembly, changed them name, and inserted it in the area where my corridor seemed to have a min of its own.

If that doesn’t work maybe try to create a gap there and let cad extrapolate between the 2 ends. Make sense? End one region about  2m before it starts to bugger and then insert a new region about 2m after the bugger and cad should look for similar links in the assemblies and connect them.

If that doesn’t work, try having a doughnut.

AUTOCAD Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7
Processor: Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU W3565 @ 3.20GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 12.0GB
System Type: 64-bit

Thanks

Erika
*Expert Elite*
sboon
Message 3 of 9 (317 Views)

01-11-2013 06:39 PM in reply to: tysonbird

There are a few possible causes for this problem.  Can you post the drawing for us to look at?

Valued Mentor
fcernst
Message 4 of 9 (309 Views)

01-11-2013 07:05 PM in reply to: tysonbird

Doughnut...that is funny!

When you really hit rock bottom and are ready to slit your wrists... Cough up the corridor, all targets and assemblies for full dissection.

Ernst Engineering
Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2015
W7x64; i7 8gb; Radeon HD 5700
www.ernstengineering.com
Active Contributor
Message 5 of 9 (300 Views)

01-11-2013 07:53 PM in reply to: fcernst

No problem.

Files are too big for Autodesk. Here is a dropbox link to the corridor file and also the xref file in the off chance the xref has something to do with it.

Corridor: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nphpt9pjco4qjei/Local%20Road%20SRF.dwg

xref: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lxn0oc0uqrbeuk7/SH-16%20BASE%20-%20CLEAN.dwg

Thanks or the help!! 

*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 6 of 9 (294 Views)

01-11-2013 08:38 PM in reply to: tysonbird

Thaw the layer your corridor is on and what you'll see is this:

Your corridor is targeting a polyline but at the north end of the corridor, it can't reach the polyline because it ends short but, it can reach it WAY over by that other part of the corridor and that is why you are seeing the "wonky" contours. Adjust your corridor so it doesn't extend beyond the polyline, adjust the polyline so it extends to the end of the corridor, or split the region at the end of the polyline and have the last bit not target the polyline.

Active Contributor
Message 7 of 9 (255 Views)

01-12-2013 06:48 PM in reply to: tysonbird
Thank you so much for the help. A good lesson in keeping the corridor visible until I'm happy with the results!!

I have always thought the corridor would default to assembly width if no target is available, but never considered what happens when the corridor is perpendicular to a target 1/2 a mile away!!

Active Contributor
Message 8 of 9 (190 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: Pollmuller
Thank you pullmuller. I will try you're separate region workaround, even though this problem is near the middle of a well modeled region. My fall back plan was to fix it with feature lines, as this section is in a consistent profile slope. I would be very interested in what might cause this problem though. It seems as though I must be doing something wrong. Sent from my iPhone
Active Contributor
Message 9 of 9 (190 Views)

01-15-2013 06:07 PM in reply to: BrianHailey
Well that's embarrassing! A simple look at frozen layers solved the problem. Extended my target pl a few feet and the whole drawing cleaned up nicely! Thank you for the help. Good lesson in keeping the corridor visible until I'm happy with the results. Thanks again!! Sent from my iPhone

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Civil 3D Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for AutoCAD Civil 3D helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Civil 3D

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs