Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Surfaces start and end not equal to the Corridor itself?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
LeafRiders
461 Views, 2 Replies

Corridor Surfaces start and end not equal to the Corridor itself?

I have various regions that apply a ditch assembly or no ditch assembly. Now when I generate the datum surface from corridor, the datum surface for some reason is showing NO ditch, when the ditch condition is being applied, and vice versa. It's exactly one station too late, or not enough. This will affect the volumes on the front and back end of each change in assembly. (using section view volume calc. method @ every 25m). 

Why is Civil 3D behaving this way? Ultimately I'll be creating a polyline from my corridor and adding that object as my corridor surface boundary, I doubt this will fix the issue..

I'd like to set my corridor from 0-100 100-200 200-300, etc. and have the corridor and the surface for the datum represent those settings. Seems fairly straight forward. Do users actually go through and set the station transitions like so... (0-99.99, 100-199.99, 200-299.99) and so on. This seems like the only approach where I'll be able to get what I want out of the corridor, for the proper volume calcs.

Come on Civil 3D crew figure this stuff out. It's hard to make a case for Civil 3D, when bugs like this show up all the time.

The other painful item, is not removing the sections when you delete a corridor surface. Why can't these be removed dynamically, when they are updated and created dynamically. No reason to force the user to delete all the section views, delete the sample lines, and recreate to replace the buggy section views that you wanted to be removed by deleting your corridor surface in the 1st place. Really, is that neccessary? Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Image attached - Orange is datum surface created from Corridor... Dash blue is edge of side slope = corridor design.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sboon
in reply to: LeafRiders

If you display the corridor surface in plan view with the TIN lines showing does it match the ditch featurelines or is it wrong, like what you're showing in the section?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 3
LeafRiders
in reply to: sboon

Couldn't tell you at this point... I blew everything away and did it over again, as per usual. This time it works. Clearly there is an issue with the section views and how they relate to the Corridor surfaces. The volume calculations are based on your average end area of your section views. So why aren't the corridor, corridor surfaces, and the section views completely dynamically linked?

It's not practical to delete your section views, sample lines, and redo them each time you make an adjustment to your corridor surfaces or "compute materials". I hope this is looked at for 2014 ver., as it's a big disappointment for roadway design. Not everyone uses Civil 3D for land development.

Key here is when you delete your materials, or your corridor surface, delete the section views that are sampled to your section views. Why force the user to deal with the cleanup and a redo everything?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report