Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Datum to follow Protruding surfaces

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
L3GO-Ed
2081 Views, 9 Replies

Corridor Datum to follow Protruding surfaces

Hullo guys,

Am trying to create a corridor datum surface that goes around Protruding lanes but it seems I am Short on knowledge here. the outer lane, LaneOutSideSuper has a greater thickness than the inner lane (same subassembly) and I would like my datum surface (actually, not only the datum surface but other layer surfaces) to attach its self around the bottom llinks of both surfaces but it shoots from the Crown_sub to the outer lane Datum. I have used the bottom links overhang and adding featurelines to the surfaces but it doesnot seem to cut it. Attached is an illustration of the section view. The top figure is what I hope to get and below is wat i seem to get

I Hope, no...,i believe someone here has a cool idea.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: L3GO-Ed

Thats not by chance an OverlayWiden Assembly is it? They have known issues with the datum
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 10
sboon
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Try adding a generic link with a Datum code from the bottom inside corner of your outer lane.  This sub will run up a very steep slope to the underside of your inner lane, just inward from it`s outside edge.  This should clean up the triangulation I believe.

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 4 of 10
L3GO-Ed
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Not really, actually its a combination of two laneOutSuper subassemblies with a shoulderExtendAll. but it seems the corridor surfaces do not track along vertical links, i have observed this with the sidewalk subassembly too
Message 5 of 10
L3GO-Ed
in reply to: sboon

thanx Steve, thanx

i had a similar idea, let me try it out. Though i have this thought that perhaps the corridor surfaces do not, by default, track along vertical links , I could be wrong. But if am not wrong, is there a way to make them because I am hosting a similar issue with a genericPavement i formed for my sidewalk. I used similar codes as with the basicSidewalk i.e. datum codes on the outside and inside vertical links plus the bottom links. What is the significance of using featurelines in corridor surfaces anway?

Regards (oh yes i didnot write rear-guards)

Edrisa

Message 6 of 10
L3GO-Ed

So steve in my continued search to dispatch my  problem, I stambled on this--

(http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFYQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums...

I think that is so close to the solutin I needed. I have also learnt that "Typically, surfaces do not create two or more break lines directly above one another. They need to be offset a small distance.", how true could that be. If so true, is there a way of "not being so typical", or i just have to go to bed with the typical.

Message 7 of 10
sboon

"Typically, surfaces do not create two or more break lines directly above one another. They need to be offset a small distance."

The more accurate statement would be A TIN surface cannot have two break lines directly above one another.  I've built a sample drawing to show an assembly similar to yours, with generic links at the interface between the inner and outer lane subs.  I found that the settings which look right in layout mode wouldn't work in a corridor.  After some experimenting I think I've got it working correctly.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 8 of 10
L3GO-Ed

Thanx Steve and thanx for your unrelentless effort to care.

Firstly, I do not know why I failed to mention that I was using a 2010 version, if u could get me a 2010 copy, i'd be more than glad. Secondly, using the generic links idea I had managed to pull it off when using laneoutsuper for both lanes, but unfortunately when I use stalked genericpavements on the outside lanes, it just goes haywire. I was guessing I didnot snap correctly, could there be issues of using the genericpavements with the laneoutsuper?

And again thanx,really appreciate your altruism

Message 9 of 10
sboon

Now you know why we like people to add hardware and version information to their signatures or in one of the macros that is part of your user account.

I don't have a 2010 license anymore but you should be able to create your own version of the assembly.  You already have the two lane subs so all you need is to add a copy of LinkWidthAndSlope to the bottom inside corner of the outer lane.  You can see the settings I used here to make it look right in the assembly, but I also found that when I used this in a corridor I had to mess with it in the view/editor to figure out the settings that would actually work.

Clipboard01.png

Using GenericPavement shouldn't cause a problem.  If you upload the drawing then someone should be able to look at it.

Steve

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 10
L3GO-Ed

I had added the link at the top outside point of the inner sub assembly and it worked out fine.

Thanx Steve

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report