Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Cut/Fill Volumes

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
brian-wlbgroup
9483 Views, 13 Replies

Corridor Cut/Fill Volumes

I am working on a roadway design project using Civil 3D 2010.  I am trying to find the total cut and fill volumes for my project. I have an existing surface (EG1). I also built a surface from my corridor (Corridor2-surface1) using the corridor surfaces menu/dialog box. To calculate the volumes I used: Analyze->Volumes->Volumes->create new volume entry. I set EG1 for my Base Surface and Corridor2-surface1 for my Comparison Surface. The result is showing zeros for my cut and fill quantities.

Is this a proper way to calculate these quantites? If so, does anyone know why the volumes aren't being calculated?

Another thing that may be causing problems (although I think my issues extend beyond this) is that in a couple of locations where my new road daylights to match the existing surface, the daylighting extends beyond the existing surface and therefore shows no feature line in these locations.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Brian

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
sboon
in reply to: brian-wlbgroup

Usually when I see this type of error the first thing to do is make sure that both surfaces have data in them.  If you open up the Properties dialogs for each surface and switch to the Statistics tab is there data there?

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 14
brian-wlbgroup
in reply to: sboon

I think you were right. In the Corridor Surface Dialog Box, I didn't have any codes specified as breaklines.  After adding these, the volumes dialog box gave me both cut and fill quantities.  However, the cut quantity seems too low (by about half to 2/3) and my contours look nothing like they should. I've attached a screen shot of the screwed up contours that are in the middle of my corridor.

For the Corriodr Surface Dialog Box, my Data Type is set to "Links".  The codes are: Top, Pave, Datum, SubBase, Slope_Link, Ditch, Daylight_Cut, and Daylight_Fill. All of which I added to my surface and have breaklines checked.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

Message 4 of 14
sboon

OK that's really not going to work.  You have added data from all of the different layers in your corridor sections to one surface.  You need to open up the help files for each of the subassemblies that you've used to build this roadway and look at the coding diagram (usually at the bottom of the page).  This will tell you which link codes you should be using for the surface that you're trying to produce.

Please note that there are link codes which apply to pretty much ALL subassemblies.  For example they all have links coded for Top, so that you can build a surface by only including all Top links.  The same applies for Datum links.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 5 of 14
LeafRiders

Not sure I'm taking the right approach to derive my corridor surface either. Slightly separate from the main question but very relative.

I have a notch in-place where my shoulder that will be. The cut surface should be made up of what elements? When should I specify as a breakline or not within the surface, or does it matter?

I believe Subbase Datum is the code I need to specify in my corridor surface. How exactly do I tie them all together to create 1 design surface. Basically I have a two way roadway with LT and RT lanes and shoulders, that daylight to EG. Ultimately I need a Cut Volume only where the subbase shape is in cut on the EG. (S1-S4 Codes to be save). The pave1 and pave 2 if in cut will be milled regardless.

Any approach or insight regarding a notch and fill / widening would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 14
sboon
in reply to: LeafRiders

Different terminology but you're trying to create something like this?

Clipboard01.jpg

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 7 of 14
LeafRiders

Ya that's basically it. My focus is generating quantities for where the shoulder is in cut to the EG. I know this has everything to do with "compute materials", and the quantity type. From there I would generate a Volumes report. Any type of advanced compute materials informatoin you can provide to generate and accurate set of quantities for Cut / Fill, pave1, pave2, and subbase all in one report would save the day. Huge thanks in advance. Could you provide a screenshot of your Compute Materials dialogue box?

Message 8 of 14
LeafRiders

I'm pretty sure the main question now is...

How do I create a Corridor Surface that represents the datum line? The surface that represents the bottom of pavement on a standard lane SA, and also the bottom link on the shoulder extend all SA. With the side slope derived from the daylight to EG.

Is there an alternative way to specify the shape or shapes that are in cut with the EG?

See attached

Message 9 of 14
sboon

The OOTB subassemblies already have the appropriate codes for building a surface using Datum links.  Create a new surface in your corridor and add the links coded as Datum to it.  Turn on the Breaklines option, and make sure that the overhang correction is set to bottom links.  If the surface looks right in your sections then you should be able to compute materials using the EG and Datum surfaces.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 10 of 14
LeafRiders

I think the solution is Pave2, Slope-Link, Subbase. For the datum surface. All set to Breakline / Bottom links (thanks for the tip). Something looks a little funny in the section views. The Subbase link is shown extended past the Design surface "top" as shown. Any ideas on how to fix this one?

Message 11 of 14
sboon

It looks like you don't have a corridor boundary in place.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 12 of 14
LeafRiders

How does one create a boundary for the datum surface that is essentially the top design surface. My options are Corridor extents as outer boundary, add interactively... or Add from polygon. All not practical, or are they? Suggestions?

Message 13 of 14
ezrabani

Here in these examples the Daylight lines (Finished ground) extends beyond the existing ground? Why? This results in correct cut/ fill volumes. Could it be my assembly or corridor surface boundary? Please explain!

Message 14 of 14
sboon
in reply to: ezrabani

Please start a new thread for a new question, rather than posting in an old discussion.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report