Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying multiple Descriptions Keys

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Tentie
260 Views, 2 Replies

Copying multiple Descriptions Keys

I have a Description Key set of approximately 500 keys.  I need to copy a huge range of these existing keys to new keys in the same description key set.  Then reneumber them as required to match the field crews numbering system.

All I can see is the single individual copy option.  This will take me several days to do, one at a time.  Does anyone know of a method or routine to allow me to copy my range in one fell swoop?

Civil 3D 2012 is what I am running, on Windows 7 Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Glen

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
owenmull
in reply to: Tentie

@>glen.cameron wrote:

>I have a Description Key set of approximately 500 keys.  I need to copy a huge range of these existing keys to >new keys in the same description key set.  Then reneumber them as required to match the field crews >numbering system.

It seems to me you are trying to have a 1:1 Code to Description Key ratio.

>All I can see is the single individual copy option.  This will take me several days to do, one at a time.  Does >anyone know of a method or routine to allow me to copy my range in one fell swoop?

>Civil 3D 2012 is what I am running, on Windows 7 Pro.

Rather than trying to code X+1 field codes into C3D, you can use an asterisk ('*') after the code itself. Correct me if I am wrong, but for example, you use the code BKL to represent a breakline in the field. You have several of these so the field crew codes one breakline as 'BKL1' and the next as 'BKL2' etc. etc.

Rather than try to enter 'BKL'X+1' Description Keys, use a wildcard character after the BKL. Place an asterisk after, and C3D will watch up until the asterisk. This way, you only have to enter a relative handful of Description Keys, while creating your point data and linework at the same time.

-Owen
Windows 7 x 64 bit

Civil 3D 2017
in reply to: owenmull

Thank you - that is helpful and we do this already.

In this case, the field crew is changing from a set of existing codes that we have used for years, to a new revamped set of codes in a different point description range.  I need to copy the original set to a new range, so we can still have the original codes as well as the new codes, as we transition over the next period of time.

I think I have found my solution by copying the entire set and renumbering in the second set.  I can then continue to load both the old and the new set with my template drawing.  Then when we have completed the transition, I simply remove the old set.

Cheers,

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Engineering Technician 1
City of North Bay
North Bay, Ontario, Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report