Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying COGO Points From One Drawing to Another

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dankoss
9570 Views, 4 Replies

Copying COGO Points From One Drawing to Another

Hi Guys,

I've had Civil3D for about two years now and there's one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Is there a way to copy COGO points from one drawing to another and have the points keep their display position?

I have a large survey project and I am constantly updating the overall site topo with additional areas, either completely new areas or sections that needed to be resurveyed for whatever reason. The client prefers that I send any topo updates as a standalone drawing because they have changed a lot of our layers for their in house use and don't want to reedit a giant topo every time we survey a new area. My problem is when I copy/paste (or wblock, or insert) the new area topo into my overall site topo the COGO points do not come over smoothly. If I have had to move (drag) a label away from the node it does not stay in that dragged position when copied over to a new or existing drawing.

Is there some way to change this? Right now I have to use to the EXPORTTOACAD command to get my new topo sections into my overall topo, which looks fine but every time I do it I'm losing more Civil3D functionality in my original topo. The points become blocks which I can't move or rotate or create a surface with without a hassle.

Anyone know a solution? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Try :Export Points" on the Output tab, then conversely, "Points from File" on the insert tab into the new drawing.
Message 3 of 5

That's like a step backwards, it's just importing a fresh batch of points into my drawing. They won't be on the right layer, rotated, and definitely not in their dragged position.

Message 4 of 5

ohhh your talking about the labels and point styles, not the actual point objects, my bad. In that case, no i don't believe there is.
Message 5 of 5
seattlesurvey
in reply to: dankoss

This does not directly address your question about copying points - it's more of a 'here's how I do that' with regard to updating large topos and sharing the data.

1.  Import and process ONLY the linework for the new topo area in a drawing separate from the overall topo - no points.

2.  Create a boundary pline of the new topo area, and use that to trim out the old data from the overall topo.  Save this boundary.

3.  Clipboard copy/paste said linework into the overall topo.

4.  Import the new survey points into the overall topo.

5.  Edit the data in the new area - rotate points, drag labels, modify your surface, etc.

6.  Done with overall topo edit.

7.  Copy the drawing, then trim out everything outside of your saved boundary.  Send this to your client.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report