Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinating with WGS84

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
wilsonm2000
590 Views, 11 Replies

Coordinating with WGS84

Hi

We have recieved a DEM file, and have been told the coordinate system is simply WGS84.  I have set my C3D coordinate setting to this coordinate system (Code LL84).  Is this correct?  When I set it to this, the geolocation tab doesnt appear, you have to set it manually.

The site is actually in Japan, when I insert the DEM into C3D, and then ID the general area for an X and Y coordinate, they are both 6 figure numbers.  How do I relate this to the coordinate system?  As it bears no resemblance to WGS84.

Thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
antoniovinci
in reply to: wilsonm2000

bigmaz wrote:
I have set my C3D coordinate setting to this coordinate system (Code LL84).  Is this correct?

The datum "WGS84" may mean everything and nothing, so please zip and upload here your Dem, sir.
I bet it's in an UTM flavour, kinda 52~54 N...

Message 3 of 12
wilsonm2000
in reply to: antoniovinci

I tried the UTM, but never worked.  Can I email you the file please?

Message 4 of 12
antoniovinci

Yes sir, feel free to send me all by PM, or by email to:

antonioHeartamicocad.it

Message 5 of 12
wilsonm2000

Great, thanks, email sent

Message 6 of 12
antoniovinci

Just answered, now I go a little by bike, good luck!

Message 7 of 12
wilsonm2000

You sent a TIFF DEM back, did you find out the coordinate system?  I was already able to insert the DEM file as it was to create a surface, but just didnt know what it related to.

Message 8 of 12
wilsonm2000

I have created a surface from your TIFF, It doesnt seem to be coordinated
Message 9 of 12
antoniovinci

The EPSG code is embedded in the file name you got: "32754" states for "UTM zone 54 datum WGS84".

I attach it for everyone to test, while here's an interactive 3D model of your surface mapped by a Bing Aerial image:

http://novarese.url.ph/autodesk/iwaki

(In order to orbit the model, please use a WebGL browser like Chrome or Firefox)

Message 10 of 12
AllenJessup

@wilsonm2000 wrote:
I have created a surface from your TIFF, It doesnt seem to be coordinated

What coordinate system do you want to be working in? Try setting your Civil 3D drawing to that coordinate system before you create the surface from the DEM of TIFF.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
wilsonm2000

Thanks. I had to move the surface generated from your TIFF 10000000 units west to make it coordinated.

Why didn't my original DEM not work? Have I got a setting wrong do you think? I had my coordinate system set to UTM 54N. But even at that, it doesn't matter, as when you ID the point the X and Y is way off
Message 12 of 12
wilsonm2000

@antoniovinci wrote:

The EPSG code is embedded in the file name you got: "32754" states for "UTM zone 54 datum WGS84".

I attach it for everyone to test, while here's an interactive 3D model of your surface mapped by a Bing Aerial image:

http://novarese.url.ph/autodesk/iwaki

(In order to orbit the model, please use a WebGL browser like Chrome or Firefox)

What did you create that TIFF file from?  Can you please tell me if I could use the raw .DEM file that I sent you?  I would rather use that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report