Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinate transformation not working with DEM files

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
C_Alan
429 Views, 1 Reply

Coordinate transformation not working with DEM files

Ok, here is what I am trying to do.

I have lidar data I am trying to work with that is in the form of ASC dem files.  The files are all in UTM11N WGS84 coordinate system.  I am also interfacing with GIS data from an Oricle connection that defaults to UTM11N WGS84.  When I create a drawing with the coordinate system of UTM11N WGS84, everytihing comes in where I exect it to.  This is all fine and dandy, but I need to work in feet, not meters.

So I set up a new drawing in Californai State Plane, Zone V, NAD83.  All the GIS data can make the transistion, and the coordinates look good (everything is around 6m,4m cordinate wise).

The trouble is trying to bring in the ASC dem data.  I have been creating a new surface using the following procedure:

1.  Manualy create a new surface Toolspace: prospector

2.  Manualy add the DEM to the surface, and filling in UTM11N WGS84 as the coordinate system for the DEM.

3.  I am not specifying a custom null elevation

Then the surface autobuilds....

The surface comes at around 5m,-69m.  wayyy off, and to ad insult to injury, the elevations are still in meters.

So is there a work around.  Please bear in mind I am work for the Federal governement, and getting and installing literally requires an act of congress, so I need a solution that I can work with from within Autocad.

Thanks,

C_Alan

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I've had success following the routine you described with USGS DEM data.  A quick google search turned up folks using GDAL to covert ASC to USGS DEM's.  GDAL is open source code (apparently), so you might be able to use w/o a heck of a lot of hoops for approval.  Might be the next avenue for you to try.

Anyone else?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report