Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coordinate Transformation problem with surface in C3D 2014

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
778 Views, 7 Replies

Coordinate Transformation problem with surface in C3D 2014

I have a created a TIN surface with a DEM file. Drawing coordinates are State Plane NAD 83 feet. DEM file coordinates are UTM NAD27 meters. Surface is shifted approx. 835 miles east.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Anonymous

Best practice for this is to create a surface and Add a DEM file under definition.  When in the dialog box, you must match the CS code to what the DEM file is, NAD27 meters.  When you do this, it will transform for you.

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 8
DaveDrahn

I don't believe C3D will do a coordinate transformation if you create a surface with the "Create from DEM" command. You can either manually transform it (move the surface west, rotate if nec). How about the elevations? Are they still reading in meters?

To do the coordinate transformation automatically (including the metric elevation conversion), you have to add the DEM as FDO through the map workspace pallet (Add Raster Image or Surface Connection). If you're dwgs setup right and ther DEM has the metadata in it correctly, it should transform it on connection. You can then create a surface from that.
Message 4 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: DaveDrahn

If he does the operation that I posted, it will work for him.

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 8
DaveDrahn
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Great to know, Todd. Thank you.
Message 6 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: DaveDrahn

Yes sir.  Not many know that there is that option.  Most think the only option is the way you suggested or creating a surface from a DEM.  Creating a surface from a DEM, has never been a good choice Smiley Happy

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I have worked with this type of file for years. Mainly in C3D 2010. The process you describe is the one I use. It works in 2010 and 2013 but not 2014.
Message 8 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

Works fine in 2014 for me.

Todd Rogers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report